Author Topic: you need battlebots help? well you came to the right place 8)  (Read 6407 times)

Offline Team OrrTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • "whats that?" "its a giant robot part obviously!"
    • www.teamorr.com
you need battlebots help? well you came to the right place 8)
« on: January 22, 2010, 10:55:54 AM »
hey guys

decided to do a little "q and a" thread, im into battlebots/robotwars and have entered many events (heres a video of my heavyweight orrion (it has a axe and flipper) Robots Live Reading 09- Orrion v Puck v Toxic 2 v IA6)

so if you need help im the guy to ask :) anything from antweights (Thug ant vs Antisocial ant) to heavyweights  ;D

jack
Jack Orr

"I appear to have built a robot with rather advanced artificial intelligence, with the emphasis very much on the bit in Asimov's laws about rejecting orders and going strange"...

Offline Hawaii00000

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
Re: you need battlebots help? well you came to the right place 8)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 07:24:45 PM »
I've got a couple noob questions...
Mainly the most common
-armor
-weapons
-shapes
"God chose to make the world according to very beautiful mathematics."
-Paul Dirac
Its Hawaii Five-O. Get it?

• Helpful? 0
    • www.teamorr.com
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 02:09:18 PM »
1: what weight class?

2: what weapon?

3: what buget?
Jack Orr

"I appear to have built a robot with rather advanced artificial intelligence, with the emphasis very much on the bit in Asimov's laws about rejecting orders and going strange"...

Offline Hawaii00000

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »
lol
1.heavyweight
2. most common heavyweight weapon
3. An average battlebot budget (whatever that would be)
"God chose to make the world according to very beautiful mathematics."
-Paul Dirac
Its Hawaii Five-O. Get it?

• Helpful? 0
    • www.teamorr.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 02:06:19 PM »
1: start small, get knowledge and then move up to heavys and shw's (i recamend antweights and featherweights)

2: depends on what you want, flippers are good, but the pneumatics are difficult, try team terrorhurtz's website for more info

3: around £750 could make a heavyweight, but for somthing competative you may be going off into the 1000's

jack
Jack Orr

Offline Hertz32

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 04:06:36 PM »
if i entered ant weight what could i expect to pay and what wepons would be good (i was thinking a claw)

Offline daniel.apds

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 05:26:40 AM »
hi.....could u help me with a wired bot....i wanna kno the way to connect the switches.....its 4 wheel drive....i want forward/backwar motion and left/right turns .... i'm using differential drive....how many switches do i need??? can i do it with jus two switches??
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:28:35 AM by daniel.apds »

Offline Comrade117

• Helpful? 0
  • "War is a joke and a waste of time"
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 01:23:44 PM »
I think claws are ineffective, but axe and flipper are quite good.  ;)
You can also watch on youtube some fights, so you can choose and use weapon you think is the most effective.

Offline Hertz32

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 04:40:08 PM »
axe by far arter i saw 1 match on you tube

• Helpful? 0
    • www.teamorr.com
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 07:26:34 AM »
hi
hertz32:
for ants youl be looking at about £150 for a good-ish one

danialapads:

do you mean dpdt switches? for a 4wd robot you only need 2 but the motors need to be wired up in parralel, i recamend using speed controllers :)

Jack Orr

Offline Hertz32

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 04:55:04 PM »
kk m8
how do i power a flipper like in the big vid
is it hydraulic or gas etc

• Helpful? 0
    • www.teamorr.com
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 11:50:22 AM »
hey

for a heavyweight flipper pneumatics is the way to go if you want the power we had, however you could have a motorized "lifter". its slower than pneumatics but it does the same job, and you also have the benifit of just running it of a esc (speed controller) rather than having to keep compressed air on board. i recamend linear actualtors

here is a vid of a linear powered heavyweight, btw its only running on 1/4 of its normal speed, but its the best i could find:

[youtube]Cabrakan Lift Test[/youtube]

however, as i said befor i seriously recamend starting small, or at least attending a few live events to see what your up against and pick up some tips :)

hope this helped

jack
Jack Orr

Offline MangoBot

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
    • BeginneRobot
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 09:29:21 PM »
what do you think of(10 lbs -20lbs bot) a axe with piercing ability that spread out like a funnel, and had a small motor that when activated would extend bars out so that it would not come out until you moved the motor the other way. It would pretty much work like a prickler how it sticks to clothing. And for armor Would trampoline type rubber with spring on the edges attached to a aluminum from be effective for lower weight classes.

Offline Comrade117

• Helpful? 0
  • "War is a joke and a waste of time"
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 06:52:14 AM »
Crazy but awesome idea :D

I noticed rules do not limit "Gauss canon", electro-magnetic gun (read Gauss law).
Gun ejects magnets at high speed, but creates strong magnetic field around the barrel. It could damage your bot so you need strong isolation.

Gauss canon is quite simple gun. Some coils in the line, and each activates in right order. So you do not need trigger, just strong electric impulse .

Anyway it is not limited by rules, but I think you will not be able to enter event with that weapon  8)

Offline Hertz32

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 10:13:13 AM »
awsome idea!!!  ;D

• Helpful? 0
    • www.teamorr.com
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 08:44:56 PM »
hey...erm its me again!

just thought id show you guys my most recent project :)

pure evil testing

please post what you think!

jack
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 08:49:16 PM by Team Orr »
Jack Orr

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 10:50:34 AM »
i noticed you seem to be british (i.e. british flag for your avi) but do you know of any north american robot fighting games? i've been thinking of a mini spinner, the dome kind in perticular, for a while. by mini i mean i'd probably propel it with hacked servos and so the rest of the weight could go into the spinner so i'm thinking pretty tiny. any tips on this kind of design?
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline amando96

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 10:59:14 AM »
pneumatics are difficult

They have to be the simplest and easiest things to do, bike pump + coke bottles filled with air pressure and a servo pinching and releasing a silicon tube.
Rorcle, 60% complete
AATV, 5% complete

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 11:13:12 AM »
although fricken expensive pneumatics are pretty simple. in fact i's allot like electronics only crossed with lego and hissing noises.
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

• Helpful? 0
    • www.teamorr.com
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 04:57:46 PM »
i noticed you seem to be british (i.e. british flag for your avi) but do you know of any north american robot fighting games? i've been thinking of a mini spinner, the dome kind in perticular, for a while. by mini i mean i'd probably propel it with hacked servos and so the rest of the weight could go into the spinner so i'm thinking pretty tiny. any tips on this kind of design?

i think you are refering to a full body spinner? I.E: the whole outside spins? if that is the case i may be able to help you...here are a few videos on the subject:

How to Build a Mini Battle Bot - Part 1

How to Build a Mini Battle Bot - Part 2

How to Build a Mini Battle Bot - Part 3

im not sure if thats exactly the scale your looking for, as you havnt named a specific weightclass, however the basic concept can be scaled either up or down (wihin reason) basicly its 2 servos with wheels mounted on a base (these could be changed to motors if you had the money, but you would need a speed controller/ESC) with a battery (most people use lithium polymer or li-po tech) and a motor for the disk, most people use brushless motors for added speed/torque but you could possibly get away with a brushed motor if you wanted, you would also need some type of weapon speed controller (note that brushed speed controllers dont work with brushless motors and vice versa) most people also mount their weapon motor direct to the shell (in this case a frying pan but that can be changed...i have used all sorts of things for my spinner, from a custom cnc'ed shell to a broken diablo half) but you can add a gearbox if you wish...also if you plan to make this for a big weight class it is advisable for you to have a gearbox because the forces involved are much bigger than the smaller classes (i.e: antweights, beetleweights)

i sugest reading/joining this website: http://www.robotwars101.org/phpBB/ as it has a wealth of information...

im afraid i dont have much info on american events other than the fact there is a robogames every now and then...and yes i am british  :D

pneumatics are difficult

They have to be the simplest and easiest things to do, bike pump + coke bottles filled with air pressure and a servo pinching and releasing a silicon tube.

that setup is similar if not identical to the one used in the rex's robot challenge (http://www.skillbank.co.uk/unnwebpage/rexg.htm), it was great back then (2004-ish) but im afraid times have moved on and that setup is now all but obsolete...the setup could only lift a house brick or two in the beginning. modern pneumatics are more like this:

Flow! Robotslive 2008

quite a difference haha ! modern setups can flip over 50kg easily sevral feet into the air...the coke/bike pump method could only lift 1 or 2kg's... and as for pneumatics being easy, i only wish that were true ! they are exeedingly difficult to get right/reliable and not for the beginner. my heavyweight orrion has a total of 5 pneumatic ram's on board and over 5kg's of co2! yes...that took a long time to perfect...and cost about £750   ::)

although fricken expensive pneumatics are pretty simple. in fact i's allot like electronics only crossed with lego and hissing noises.

pneumatics on the whole are difficult for beginners...and even for old hands such as myself they are still a bit tricky, also they are not to be underestimated, countless people have been killed over the years in accidents involving pneumatics...me and my father were almost one of them when a co2 bottle exploded while we were arming up the robot.

Battle Bot Team You Guys Rule Robotics.

You Guys Take Quit a Hit Out There I built a 150 lb base relay controlled  And I want to kick a 50 yd field goal can you help me with the kick like a special team coach ?

Thank you Tom Gualalasmooth     Here's My Site W/Pictures http://www.squidoo.com/diy-robots-

im afraid i didnt quite understand all of that...you want to hit a ball over a set of posts using robotics? not my area of expertise im afraid (more of a soccer guy hehe) perhaps some type of motorized arm? or a pneumatic setup? having never built anything like that (bar a pneumatic cannon) im afraid i cant really help...sounds cool though!

i hope that answered some of your questions...

Jack

http://teamorr.com/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:10:48 PM by Team Orr »
Jack Orr

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 05:44:18 PM »
thanks for the tips! i've done some research since then and have pretty much decided to build an antweight spinner (or beetleweight if the design turns out to be too heavy :P). my biggest problem is deciding on some motors since i want it to be mobile enough to dodge wedges yet light enough to support a decently hefty blade (and the batteries to power it). i have used brushless motors a few times before and i have ordered a decently hefty yet light brushless motor for the bot. i've even figured out a neet little trick for detecting which direction the platform is facing when the blade spins

• Helpful? 0
    • www.teamorr.com
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 03:42:47 AM »
thanks for the tips! i've done some research since then and have pretty much decided to build an antweight spinner (or beetleweight if the design turns out to be too heavy :P). my biggest problem is deciding on some motors since i want it to be mobile enough to dodge wedges yet light enough to support a decently hefty blade (and the batteries to power it). i have used brushless motors a few times before and i have ordered a decently hefty yet light brushless motor for the bot. i've even figured out a neet little trick for detecting which direction the platform is facing when the blade spins

that sounds cool, keep us updated ^^ you could use servos for drive (as he does in the above video) either normal or speed hacked. or motors with a spped controller...here is a usefull website for bits (one of the best in my opinion) : http://www.robotmarketplace.com/store.html

its run by the people that made nightmare, the robot with the insanely awsome vertical spinning blade seen on battlebots : - )

jack
Jack Orr

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 07:27:21 AM »

that sounds cool, keep us updated ^^ you could use servos for drive (as he does in the above video) either normal or speed hacked. or motors with a spped controller...here is a usefull website for bits (one of the best in my opinion) : http://www.robotmarketplace.com/store.html

its run by the people that made nightmare, the robot with the insanely awsome vertical spinning blade seen on battlebots : - )

jack

oh ya i've ordered from there before. they're pretty good.

Offline crazyfills

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 02:03:34 PM »
hi  :) I'm new to this form but I'm willing to give up countless hours behind making an antweight I am hoping to make an antweight that is wedge shaped with a spike at the back (possibly an axe) this is my first robot so my knowledge is basic i have ordered a construction kit from robotwars 101 it contains a micro servo (unmodified) 2 standard servos (360 modifed) radio gear two wheels constuction plans a battery and charger and polycarbonate sheets
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 11:54:26 AM by crazyfills »

Offline amando96

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »
This reminds me, I made a mini hypno disk a while ago  :D
Here.
Boredness with a mini hypno disk
Rorcle, 60% complete
AATV, 5% complete

Get Your Ad Here