go away spammer

Author Topic: Free Rotation Wheel  (Read 1865 times)

Offline zizou244Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Free Rotation Wheel
« on: June 09, 2015, 03:40:07 PM »
Hello Guys !

I'm currently building a 4 wheeled car and I'm trying out a differential drive with the Two Rear wheels connected to DC motors, and two Free rotating front wheels.

I'm curious what kind of simple mechanism I could use to get the "free rotation" part. I only know about the bearing system you can find in this kind of wheel :

The wheel you can see in the picture has some kind of ball bearing.
Do you know of any other "simpler" way of ensuring the free rotation around the Z axis ?

PS : The car i'm building is a little big, and the wheels I'm using came from an old baby stroller (15 cm diameter and a 1cm hole in the middle)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 03:43:51 PM by zizou244 »

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
Re: Free Rotation Wheel
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 05:15:09 PM »
 ;D Hello!
In reference to your wheels selection, I would check out some of the vendors in this forum;
like ServoCity. Some of these vendors have some mind-blowing wheels,  :o that turn
in an unconventional way; and they are priced reasonably. Check them out!  8)

Offline Ibaeni

• Helpful? 4
Re: Free Rotation Wheel
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 11:49:42 AM »
It's also very common to put some low friction piece of material as a third point of contact. Something like a bottle cap would even work.

If you want something a little nicer, you could get a ball caster. It is essentially a marble in a holder that can roll in any direction. They're relatively inexpensive on Sparkfun.

Get Your Ad Here