Author Topic: battery for ESC  (Read 2308 times)

Offline tjpark1111Topic starter

• Helpful? 1
battery for ESC
« on: February 06, 2008, 09:57:52 PM »
so now i have to make a sumobot for hte states competition, and it seems like continuous servos, even with high torque, fall short in comparison to 12V DC motors with 600+ oz-in torque. i bought a battery pack that had a hitec connector on it so i could use it with a hitec receiver and servos. what kind of connector do ESC's usually come with? how can i connect my battery to the ESC if they have different connectors?

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
Re: battery for ESC
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 07:11:57 AM »
You simply change the connector of the ESC... ::)
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 08:42:57 AM »
If the datasheet doesn't say, and there is no pic of it, call up the manufacturer/retailer.

Offline tjpark1111Topic starter

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 08:18:58 PM »
 would this ESC: http://servocity.com/html/c-12_speed_control.html
be ok for this motor?: http://banebots.com/pc/MP-28XXX-385/MP-28064-385
I'm worried since it says the stall current is 17A for the motor but the ESC only supports 12A continuous max. also, the battery connector looks erally weird??? idk what that is?? and to change the connector, would I just rip out the connector and just put in the new one? do i have to solder? i dont want to mess everything up. and for the receiver connector, hopefully it'll work with my hitec receiver cuz it's only negative shift...... help?
one more thing, if i run that motor at 6V(Since i have one already) instead of the nominal voltage at 7.2V, how much loss in torque/speed/power would i get?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 08:30:09 PM by tjpark1111 »

Offline jzaun

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 09:42:59 PM »
I would say that the ETC supporting up to 12A continuous will not support a motor that is looking for 17+A. I would use a 20A ESC with the motor... always go over, never under on ESC amps. At least thats what I've been reading.

Offline Pyro

• Helpful? 0
    • www.canadian-customs.com
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 09:21:12 AM »
I would say that the ETC supporting up to 12A continuous will not support a motor that is looking for 17+A. I would use a 20A ESC with the motor... always go over, never under on ESC amps. At least thats what I've been reading.

Definately.  The motor could also pull more than it's rated at, so be sure to have a little headroom with the ESC rating over the motor rating.

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 09:22:12 PM »
depending how much speed control you need, you could always use a simple H-Bridge. Classic but still useful.
Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil.

data_list