Author Topic: Correct way to insert LED's and Capacitor into RS232 Shifter Board Kit  (Read 2083 times)

Offline koolboarder007Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Hey guys,

I'm setting up my robot to communicate with my PC. I will be using TTL, so I purchased the RS232 Shifter board kit. It looks pretty easy to put together, but I am getting stuck on one thing... I can't figure out which direction to put the LED and the capacitor into the provided board. Since capacitors and LED's are polarized, I need to make sure that I solder them in correctly. I noticed that the two holes have a different look where I insert the component. One hole is square while the other one is round. My thought would be that the negative end goes into the square hole, but I'm not really sure. I looked at the soldering tutorial for putting this particular board together and it didn't mention anything about the difference in the holes, it just says to make sure that you put them in correctly since they are polarized. Anyway, can someone please tell me what the square hole means (positive or negative end of capacitor or LED)? If need be, I will take a picture and post so you can see what I am talking about. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Will

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
On the slikscreen, the round hole is on the side where the slikscreen is flat, as opposed to round on the square hole. The flat area indicates that is the cathode (negative) end of the led, so put the negative side towards that.

Offline koolboarder007Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Thank you Razor! I figured this was a standard of some kind but I wasn't aware of it. I'll reply with my results!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list