Author Topic: AVRProjectIDE - Editor for AVR/Arduino Projects  (Read 10614 times)

Offline frank26080115Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
AVRProjectIDE - Editor for AVR/Arduino Projects
« on: September 26, 2009, 11:02:21 PM »
I've written a development environment for AVR microcontrollers that is geared towards AVRStudio and Arduino users. I have just posted the first alpha and I'm looking for the first batch of users to use it, test it out and give me feedback.

Here's some teaser screenshots so you'll actually go to my link and try it out

Distiguishing Features

* Scintilla editor, with configurable syntax highlighting and indentation preferences
    * Docking subwindows and tabs, with workspace preference saved upon exit and reloaded at startup
    * Backs up open files with modifications in configurable time intervals
    * Supports the building of C, C++, and Arduino projects using WinAVR
    * Quickly configure AVRDUDE and burn your project right from the editor
    * Customizable project templates, apply as much or as little settings as you want
    * Customize your help menu with bookmarks which you can edit through an XML file, even launch your own applications
    * There's an updater included, plus a news feed, so once you get it, I won't bug you to visit the website to keep downloading newer versions, everything is automated with your permission.

Compatibility Features

* Import and export .aps files used by AVRStudio
    * Generates makefiles, or run your own makefile
    * Build process automatically detects Arduino code and builds that code in a way identical to how Arduino actually builds its code

AVRStudio Related Improvements

* Uses AVRDUDE so you can use non-official programmers from within the editor
    * Configuration manager is very familiar

Arduino Related Improvements

* Serial port terminal that supports escape sequences and displays non-printable characters
    * More project configurability
    * Apply an Arduino template to quickly choose your Arduino flavor, the chip will be choosen, clock speed set accordingly, and AVRDUDE will be set to use the bootloader.

Interested? Get it here:
http://code.google.com/p/avr-project-ide/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 09:23:24 AM by frank26080115 »

Offline Half Shell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: AVRProjectIDE - Editor for AVR/Arduino Projects
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 07:03:06 AM »
Very good work. I'm quite impressed. Is there any chance of a Linux compatible version? Linux users typically have to use the Eclipse plugin - which works great. Unfortunately I have to teach people AVRs and Eclipse is... less than ideal for teaching many of them. Another option is always welcome.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:33:54 AM »
There will probably not be a linux/mac version because of the dependence on .NET , if Mono can build a working version then maybe (I think I would need to downgrade the project to a version of .NET that is compatible).

Eclipse, which I tried, seemed nice and powerful, the AVR plugin I found was neat too. But it seemed pretty heavyweight, visually distracting, and I really don't like Java.

I remember using KontrollerLab for a while on Ubuntu, pretty much as good as AVRStudio, except Kate is pretty nice and it has some other kick ass features. Give that a shot.

Offline macbook

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:32:01 AM »
Hey, I tried to run that IDE but am getting this error-

Main IDE Error

Modified code files should have been backed up occasionally automatically, go look for them if the editor crashes.
If This is an Issue, Please Report This To http://code.google.com/p/avr-project-ide/issues/list

Message: The type initializer for 'ScintillaNet.PageSettings' threw an exception.

Target Site: Void .ctor()

Stack Trace:    at ScintillaNet.PageSettings..ctor()
   at ScintillaNet.PrintDocument..ctor(Scintilla oScintillaControl)
   at ScintillaNet.Printing..ctor(Scintilla scintilla)
   at ScintillaNet.Scintilla..ctor()
   at AVRProjectIDE.SettingsManagement.Load()
   at AVRProjectIDE.Program.Main(String[] args)

Source: ScintillaNet

Inner Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'ScintillaNet.PageInformation' threw an exception. ---> System.ArgumentException: Font 'Arial' does not support style 'Regular'.
   at System.Drawing.Font.CreateNativeFont()
   at System.Drawing.Font.Initialize(FontFamily family, Single emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte gdiCharSet, Boolean gdiVerticalFont)
   at System.Drawing.Font.Initialize(String familyName, Single emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte gdiCharSet, Boolean gdiVerticalFont)
   at System.Drawing.Font..ctor(String familyName, Single emSize)
   at ScintillaNet.PageInformation..cctor()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at ScintillaNet.PageInformation..ctor(PageInformationBorder eBorder, InformationType eLeft, InformationType eCenter, InformationType eRight)
   at ScintillaNet.PageSettings..cctor()

Why?? And what to do to run it?

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:37:09 AM »
crap, huh, how come your arial font doesn't support regular style? this is the 2nd time somebody has had font issues

i'll start the initiative to change all font names to the built in generic fontfamily enumeration tonight, also it looks like this will force me to compile a custom version of ScintillaNet since that's where the exception was thrown
good thing ScintillaNet is open source :-)
found the offender: "public static readonly Font DefaultFont = new Font("Arial", 8);" in PageInformation.cs , will change to new System.Drawing.Font(System.Drawing.FontFamily.GenericSansSerif, 8F);

what language is your OS? can you re-download your Arial font and re-install it and see what happens?

an update with a fix will be out tonight at some point
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:54:52 AM by frank26080115 »

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 04:50:19 PM »
Try it now and let it update, or if you can't update, try the latest download.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 08:21:47 PM »
The latest featured alpha version has working intelligent autocomplete. it is variable scope aware, it also checks which files you've #included so it gets all the functions and keywords from there too. each keyword in the autocomplete has a icon with the color indicating where the keyword came from (C, CPP, Arduino, AVR Libc module, or user defined) and a shape indicating what it is (type, function, statement, variable, etc)

it's as close to intellisense as i can get to at the moment without basically writing a C compiler of my own.

please try it out for me :-) get it here
http://code.google.com/p/avr-project-ide/

Get Your Ad Here

data_list