Author Topic: GPS  (Read 3811 times)

Offline robokidTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
GPS
« on: August 07, 2008, 06:54:13 PM »
how can i add GPS and DIITAL COMPASS to my robot. add how can I install a kepad it insert directions. And how can I program the robot to follow.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 08:34:05 PM »
The anwser is quite simple.... coding and some wiring...

But what does this anwser mean is a other thing...

Man, what is your exp so far???
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline robokidTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 04:31:16 PM »
[quote

Man, what is your exp so far???
[/quote]

I'm ten for your information

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 04:39:21 PM »
Well what is your robotics experience ? How many and what kind of robots did you build so far? GPS is advanced stuff, not recommended for newbies
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 05:03:07 PM »
Plus GPS meets limited uses...
Navigation via gps is one thing but you need to know where you are going and how...

As far as I know GPS have a +/- 2.5  meter accuracy at best with at least 20 sats up to you...
Let alone the money you give, small robots can not benefit so much from that kind of GPS...
Only military GPS have better accuracy in a matter of cm...

Digital compass... I don't know if it can help much... just for some fun making cause with GPS you usually don't need a compass, exept you die for accuracy... plus I can't find so far samples... I only hope that know that I'm accepted to a univercity I can do more...

To tell you the truth I'm only 7 - 8 years older than you... 3 years before I was teased quite bad for some of my ideas to materialize... Now I'm capable... And I just feel happy for this... It's not that I tease you but you know, you are 10 and you want to conquer the world... I know big stuff... I was like you in this... But get a hold on...
You like robotics, get into the basics. It's not that you can't conquer the world, it's that you must learn first and have some patience...Empires aren't build in a day...
Try the 50$ robot....  think you can't make it... get a boe bot... But anything you do... do it yourself... don't have other done it for you, cause you just won't feel happy!!!

It's more that I try to enter you to the world of robotics than to help you with a single GPS...
Think about it and repply whenever... I'm on holiday... I don't know when I'll have interet again...

Cya, Lefteris
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline praig

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 05:30:17 PM »
There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on using gps that I've found. Maybe because GPS requires line of sight to the satelites. If you try running it indoors, your roof, the wiring, the floors above you,etc will mess up your signal.

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 05:34:19 PM »
Maybe because GPS requires line of sight to the satelites. If you try running it indoors, your roof, the wiring, the floors above you,etc will mess up your signal.

that and its relatively expensive and complicated for the average roboticist.
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 06:59:11 AM »
Find a GPS and digital compass you like, and then look at the datasheet. The datasheet will explain how to do it. And if you get stuck, we are here to help.

But if this is your first robot, I recommend taking a step back and trying something simpler first, like getting servos to work on your robot . . .

Offline Iron Man

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 11:19:17 AM »
There's a lot that goes into making a GPS work.

Here's a link to a great discussion on using a GPS that uses UART(A serial protocol)

http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=353270

My nephew is about your age, and he just became really interested in robotics too.
A great place to start with is always lego's. Get your parents to buy you the new NXT lego mindstorms. This will allow you to make mechanical and software changes very easily. At the same time you'll be learning a lot of very important basic concepts that you will definitely apply later on.

If you're really headstrong about this GPS thing though I would use this GPS.
http://www.robotshop.us/home/products/robot-parts/sensors/all-robot-sensors/usglobalsat-em-406-gps-module.html

It's the same GPS that is in the microchip link above. It has GREAT reception, i can get a signal 20 feet in from any window at my work. Which is basically a steel and concrete building. It's about the cheapest you can go with a GPS, and it has an accuracy of about -/+ 5m

I would heavily suggest the Lego Mindstorms first though.

Good Luck.

P.S.
making a vibrobot is always another cool easy little robot to make.
just take an angled toothbrush head and cut it off from the toothbrush, and mount a pager motor, or some other unbalanced motor on it, and then hook up a battery. It's a fun little project that you can use to clean your table or w/e. It took my nephew about 4 hours to make one by himself.

Offline rbarkas

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 11:23:42 PM »
Maybe because GPS requires line of sight to the satelites. If you try running it indoors, your roof, the wiring, the floors above you,etc will mess up your signal.

that and its relatively expensive and complicated for the average roboticist.

At it's simplest level there is nothing complicated or expensive about using GPS.  You can buy a USB powered and connected GPS for around $50-70.
The output of most will be NMEA format sentences that express latitude, longitude, altitude and some signal quality data as ASCII strings.

Offline stan

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 11:32:44 PM »

this is from Parallax.com

Parallax GPS Receiver Module
Parallax GPS Receiver Module                            
Item code    28146
Stock    [Stock: more than 100 in Stock] 517
Price    $89.99
Starting from: 5 pieces $85.49
Starting from: 10 pieces $80.99
      Quantity Sorry, you have entered an invalid value !    
Email to a Friend

RoHS CompliantDoes your project need to be able to track its position globally? When used in an outdoor environment, the Parallax GPS Receiver with its integrated patch antenna can provide standard raw NMEA0183 strings or specific data from up to 12 satellites via a standard serial interface.

The module provides current time, date, latitude, longitude, altitude, speed and travel direction/heading among other data, and can be used in a host of applications, including navigation, tracking systems, mapping, fleet management and robotics.

The Parallax GPS Receiver Module includes a programmable Parallax SX microprocessor and open-source control firmware for advanced users who wish to modify it. This source code is not supported by Parallax, but is offered as a free download below.

This device can be connected to a PC serial port using a MAX232 line driver. The circuit isn't supported by Parallax, but it's possible to make this connection with a few dollars of parts.

Features:

* Single-wire 4800 bps TTL Serial interface to BASIC Stamp, SX and Propeller microcontrollers.
    * Provides either raw NMEA0183 strings or specific data, making it easier to use on the BASIC Stamp microcontrollers.
    * Simple/raw mode selectable via I/O control.
    * Single +5VDC supply @ 115 mA (typical)
    * Standard 4-pin header interface (.100" spacing).

Downloads:
GPS Reciever Manual v1.1 (.pdf)
GPS Demo (.bs2)
SX/B Control Firmware (.sxb)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 11:33:38 PM by stan »
I have a brain tumor and whats your excuse?

Offline stan

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 11:50:32 PM »
yes he probably needed a learning kit like boebot like my kid got.....but he is trying he just needs a Mentor......
I have a brain tumor and whats your excuse?

Get Your Ad Here

data_list