Author Topic: Where do i begin?  (Read 2037 times)

Offline kampiTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Where do i begin?
« on: September 09, 2014, 11:51:18 AM »
Hello,

i'm interested in robotics, and i have an idea what i want to build. I should say, that i never ever built a robot before, and never programmed one. However i am programming a lot in C/C++, i just don't know how to build/program my robot. Where do i begin?
I want to build 5 or 6 small robots. They should be able:
- to roll on wheels( 2,3 or more),
- change direction,
- lift something(nothing heavy) which means they do have to have arms,
- have a LED which lights up if i program it to,
- and they should (2 of them) be able to play a sound(or beep like morce code).

So my question is, what parts do i require, and how do i put them together? And how do i program them? Ohh, and one more. Is it possible to start them simultanously somehow? Don't worry if it is too hard, because i like challenges :)

Thanks in advance!

Offline jkerns

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 12
Re: Where do i begin?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 01:35:20 PM »
I hate to answer by not answering, but where do you want to start?

What interests you the most - construction, electronics, programming? 
All of the above?

You can buy ready to run robots, you can buy kits, you can use Legos, you can build a robot from wood, plastic or cardboard...  You can even hack RC vehicles.

For controllers - some kits come with one, you can use something like an Arduino, Raspberry pi, you can build your own using any number of micro controller chips.

Start by reading through the $50 robot tutorial on this site for a good example of a bottom line DIY approach. You could expand on that with better hardware and a more capable micro (I like the ATmega1284p for the most pins in a through hole package) or swap in an Arduino.

A search for robot kits will get you lots of choices from places like sparkfun, pololu, robot shop, etc.

Once you have some idea about what exists on the ends of the spectrum, then you can better decide where to jump in.
I get paid to play with robots - can't beat that with a stick.

http://www.ltu.edu/engineering/mechanical/bachelor-science-robotics-engineering.asp

Offline kampiTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 11:26:14 AM »
Thank you for your answer.

What interests me the most? I'd say programming, and construction. Electronics is not really my thing. I have basic knowledge, but don't really liked it. I know it is part of robots :)

Robot kits is a great idee. Thank you for that. But unfortunately, i didn't find what i am looking for. Or i searched at the wrong place.
I know what i want to build. I mean how it should look like. So i can build the body. My problem is, i don't know what kind of controller do i need? Or what i need to move an arm. Which parts(if i buy them as a kit or) will fit together and which not. The programmatic part wouldn't be a problem (I hope at least :) ) So basicaly the electronic part is missing.
http://www.robotshop.com/en/dagu-mini-robots-kit.html looks the closest to what i want. It can give out a sound, has a programmable LED, but doesn't have any arms, and i don't need legs, it should roll :)

Offline jkerns

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 12
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 04:38:19 PM »
To move arms people typically use RC servos or geared DC motors. The servo has the advantage in that it has a built in sensor and feedback control. With a DC motor you would have to add a sensor of some type if you want accurate position control.

For controlling arms via programming (as opposed to just radio control) most of the controller options I mentioned can be made to work. Arduino's are designed to be easy for non-programmers to use. The Atmel AVR chips (which are used in the Arduio) can be programmed in C as can PIC micro controllers but it's more work to get things like RC servos to work properly.
I get paid to play with robots - can't beat that with a stick.

http://www.ltu.edu/engineering/mechanical/bachelor-science-robotics-engineering.asp

data_list