go away spammer

Author Topic: Roborealm and cameras  (Read 4905 times)

Offline nachiTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Roborealm and cameras
« on: November 23, 2007, 12:38:15 AM »
 Hi..
1 I plan to use Roborealm software along with simple webcam for recording XY coordinates of robot arm tip.
     My requirement need me to buy a webcam having resolution of 1600 X 1200. Is the software compatible for such high resolution camera..
     Upto what resolution does the software works the best.

2.  Also, I need to continuously update and record the X Y positions of three point on the robot. How do I get this in the software. I have gone              through   the  write variable module. But still I am not sure how to use it to serve my purpose.

3.  In the red object tracking module,  There is a VB scriot program
         "  SetVariable "SERVO_VALUE", Cint((GetVariable("COG_X") * 255)/GetVariable("IMAGE_WIDTH")) "
 In this what is this value of 255. 
 I would be required to calibrate the module to get COG X and Y values in tearms of real values ( in cm, mm etc.)
 Does this value of 255 play any role in such calibration. Or do I simply neglect it while writing my own code.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Roborealm and cameras
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 07:47:05 AM »
This my roborealm file that I use to do COG on red objects. It outputs x/y coordinates:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/downloads/robo_realm_configs/red_blob_locator.robo

(you may need to change the red threshold to match your lighting)

My requirement need me to buy a webcam having resolution of 1600 X 1200. Is the software compatible for such high resolution camera..
It can handle any resolution, but your computer might not be able to process fast enough. On my older 650Mhz laptop it would choke on that high of a resolution. There are modules to reduce the resolution if you need to.

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 09:02:04 AM »
you won't get 1600 X 1200 from a USB webcam in real time.
the USB bus is not fast enough.
you can get USB cameras that will let you get a snapshot at this resolution though.
does your application need to operate quickly?

if you really need 1600 X 1200 video (rather than a still image every few seconds) then i think you will need to look at digital video PCI cards.
i wouldn't know anything about those though.

dunk.

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 09:09:23 AM »
Another option for that resolution is a TCP/IP camera. It just plugs into your router, and you can get the images from it over the network.

Unless you've got a seriously kick-ass machine though, RoboRealm will choke and die at that resolution, unless you're happy with a much slower frame rate. In order to get 30 fps, I need to run at about 320x200 on my 2.1 GHz Core 2 Duo laptop.

- Jon

Get Your Ad Here

data_list