Author Topic: Ok this is a little sad  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Silver_79Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Ok this is a little sad
« on: August 10, 2009, 08:51:44 PM »
Hi again all I am working on bench testing my voltage reg circuit, its the same circuit that is on the bottom of the regulating a constant voltage tutorial. My prob here is actually kinda embarrassing since I am working on associates in computer engineering and a B.S. in EET. I was hooking up the circuit and did so with little effort. The circuits been failing and I checked everything individually except the MPS222A transistor I am using as the switching transistor. I checked the 5V reg by hooking it up to a 9V and checking the out for the 5V which it produced but I never used a transistor for switching, so I have no idea how to check it. Is it hooked up the same as the 7805A V-reg I am using ? In my prog. we rarely use single components other than Inductors , caps , and resistors or batteries. I think next year here I get into some more complex elect. with my Electronics I course and lab but I do know it continues on from Circuits II which was about DC/AC and all the math like Phase angles. Anyway I don't really get the switching trans so please help :P
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I–
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Lee Frost-

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Ok this is a little sad
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 03:55:40 PM »
Hi,

[...] its the same circuit that is on the bottom of the regulating a constant voltage tutorial.
You provide the direct link, then we can spend time helping you instead of searching for the circuit.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 05:38:16 PM »

-Robert Lee Frost-

Offline billhowl

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 32
  • Your success is in your hands.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:47:03 PM »
Which switching regulator are you used?

Here are some switching regulator that you can use.

MC34063 Based Switching Regulator Adapter, Step-Down Input Voltage: +5 ~+24V DC Output +2.5V ~+12V. 0.5Amp
http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=365

Switching Regulator Input: 5.5V-23V output 5V/6V 3A
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15149

5V 1A Switching voltage regulator, pin-compatible with the common 78XX family
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SW050.htm

Consider discreet circuits like  "The Black Regulator" Input: 10v to 18v output +5V, +12v 70mA to 300mA
http://www.romanblack.com/smps/smps.htm

• Helpful? 0
Re: Ok figured it out.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 12:09:26 PM »
Turns out the component I was using was just a high speed switching transistor not a Switching voltage Reg. I got a new one inc from Akron Ohio, got two actually so I can make a new circuit as a backup and as a gnd for a new robot I want to make after Feddar (my 50$ inspired robot) is done. One good question though, should I take these new Voltage regs and put them in a socket ? there are pricey for a component and they are variable outputs from dimension engineering. Got the site from the post above, btw ty Soeren for the info helped me a bunch and saved me tons of time. :P   

-Robert Lee Frost-