go away spammer

Author Topic: PCMCIA serial port card for laptop  (Read 2564 times)

Offline adanvascoTopic starter

• Helpful? 6
  • Necessity is the mother of invention.
PCMCIA serial port card for laptop
« on: June 12, 2011, 09:18:56 PM »
Has anybody used a PCMCIA card (CardBus PC Card 54mm) with a hardware programmer? I've been trying to use the USB -> adapter with no success so far. I've been thinking about getting one of this for my laptop: http://cgi.ebay.com/Laptop-Serial-RS232-COM-DB9-Port-Expresscard-34mm-/130532398467?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e64565583

Thanks in advance.
Knowledge does not weigh.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: PCMCIA serial port card for laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 09:52:08 PM »
Hi,

Haven't tried using them, but notice that the page says:
"USB-Based Serial RS232 Port Expresscard, prolific chipset"
So, if USB to EIA/TIA-232 adapters didn't work for you, might be the same with the card.

I never had any problems with my USB to RS232 adapters, but a programmer might be trying to use it outside its specs.

Why not just get an USB programmer instead?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 6
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:53:47 PM »
Yeah, after I made the post I realized that it is USB based. I have a serial port on my desktop PC. That's why I have used the cheap programmer but it's beginning to be a pain in the b...., since I travel a lot and take some projects with me to kill time and my laptop have no serial port. I think I should just go ahead and get a new one. Which one do you recommend?

Thanks.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 07:55:23 AM »
Hi,

Which one do you recommend?
Without doubt the PICkit-2  ;D  but that's probably not any help at all, but I haven't programmed Atmel chips for around a decade, so cannot really say what's good or bad in that department.

For advice on which AVR programmer is best/cheapest, perhaps you should make a new subject, to make sure those that know them will reply.

If anything, I could tell you to get a ready build and well proven (and easily updated) device. With the PIC's, it's often more expensive to buy a second source programmer which is usually inferior to the manufacturers own product - I don't know if Atmel makes USB programmers, but if they do, they should know how to make them good  ;D
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Magnetos

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 12:17:58 PM »
Has anybody used a PCMCIA card (CardBus PC Card 54mm) with a hardware programmer? I've been trying to use the USB -> adapter with no success so far. I've been thinking about getting one of this for my laptop: http://cgi.ebay.com/Laptop-Serial-RS232-COM-DB9-Port-Expresscard-34mm-/130532398467?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e64565583

Thanks in advance.

I have been using this serial RS232 PCMCIA card with several programmers. The card has DOS drivers included so you can actually use it with any old DOS computer. 

• Helpful? 6
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
Hi. Thanks for the link. Looks like a good alternative for my old laptop. Have you by any chance used it with Linux? Any flavor?
Thanks again, I'll definitely look into that.

Get Your Ad Here