go away spammer

Author Topic: $50 robot different microcontroller  (Read 1627 times)

Offline MoyamoTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
$50 robot different microcontroller
« on: June 29, 2012, 08:45:03 AM »
I wanted to build the $50 dollar robot so I went to the local electronic store to buy the parts. After arriving at home I realised that I bought the Atmega8-16au instead of the Atmega8-16pu.

I checked the data sheets and it seems like the microcontroller on in the tutorial has a PDIP pin configuration but mine has a TQFP pin configuration. I think I will be able to rewire the robot appropriately but the problems is the socket. I didn't buy the DIP socket, so what I need to know is what socket I must buy for the TQFP microcontroller.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: $50 robot different microcontroller
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »
TQFP package is used for SMDs (Surface Mounted Devices), if You haven't done soldering before - it will be next to impossible (or very though at least), plus ordinary size cheap soldering iron will be too big and too hot for the job. There are sockets that convert TQFP to DIP, but that involves soldering as well. I've also seen some sockets that do not require soldering, but they seem to be quite expensive.

Couldn't You just go back to the shop and have it replaced?
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline MoyamoTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: $50 robot different microcontroller
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 07:09:30 AM »
I was looking for a easy way out and I see there is no cheap solution. I guess I have to replace my microcontroller with the right model.

Thanks for the reply.

I saw some TQFP PCBoards That connects to DIPs but as you said it would be difficult to for a beginner to solder.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list