Author Topic: tiny robot hardware?  (Read 7672 times)

Offline Charlie1138Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
tiny robot hardware?
« on: October 09, 2006, 11:15:29 AM »
I need some little robot hardware.. like the size of eyeglass screws. Do they sell this stuff at radio shack? Or Home Depot? I just saw a link to an online seller of this kind of thing but I'd rather just go pick something up rtaher than mail-order, if possible.

Offline polar bear6

• Helpful? 0
Re: tiny robot hardware?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 01:49:13 PM »
i dont know if you can get microcontrollers at that size, but i ordered some PIC16F877A's in some wierd packaging, they were pretty damn small compared to the ordinary DIP size...
i saw a BEAM walker made entierly out of SMD parts, it was pretty small too.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 01:55:46 PM »
I'm sorry, I don't think I was clear. I am just looking for little tiny screws and nuts.. like the size of 35mm camera screws. i don't know what size those are. They use a #000 screwdriver -- whatever that means. :D

Offline Gopher

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 03:38:58 PM »
I didn't see any at my local radio shack; I was able to get some at HobbyTown USA, though. Not sure if they'll have those in your area. Failing that, you could always try a store that makes eyeglasses, logically they have to have some.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 04:23:03 PM »
I am thinking that the eyeglass place won't have them long enough (I need them proably a little longer than eyeglass screws) and will they have nuts?

I think a hobby shop will probably be my best bet.. or I will have to order them online. Man, I'm sick of waiting for UPS. haha

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 05:23:34 PM »
Have you considered stores that sell/repair watches? Those parts are insanely small. Perhaps a jewelry store?

Is there a Grainger store in your area? They might have it.

Offline Gopher

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 05:25:35 PM »
Yeah, you're right that an eyeglass place won't have nuts, or long screws. For my purposes, short screws will do fine by themselves, as I'm using materials that take threads well. And I know what you mean about ordering online; besides, on tiny purchases, shipping often more than offsets the savings of online ordering.

Interesting idea on the watch parts; I'll have to add broken mechanical watches/clocks to my list of junk collect for possible parts!

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 05:34:35 PM »
I'll check the watch repair shops. That's a good one. Thanks admin.

A camera repair shop might have them too. They could have longer screws.. I don't know about the nuts though. Maybe I will have to learn how to tap some sheet metal. Or I could try to get some selftapping screws, right?

Part of the problem is that I don't even know what size screws these are.. I need to eyeball a match.

But the real problem is that I don't know what the heck I'm doing.  ;D

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 06:00:12 PM »
I highly recommend getting a nice pair of digital calipers, they are amazing for measuring stuff (such as screw sizes), and I use them for building even my crudest robots . . .

Ok I admit they are a little pricey, but a good investment.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 06:31:32 PM »
That's a good idea. I will definitely put that on my Christmas list.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 01:39:19 PM »
I got some screws that were very close to the right size at the hobby RC car shop. They also didn't need nuts. I drilled a smaller hole and they screwed in and held pretty well. Hopefully they continue to hold. I think they will thoiugh.

Get Your Ad Here