go away spammer

Author Topic: AFM, STM, SEM, CNC, 3D printers, Mills, Rework Stations - tutorials?  (Read 5663 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
I've been thinking . . . I tend to use really expensive equipment, useful for robots, but most of you don't even know what they are - and if you did, you couldn't afford one like ever.

Would you guys like tutorials on these things? I mean, beyond what wikipedia has to offer, and within reference to robotics?

Most recently, I've now got access and have played around with an AFM (atomic force microscope) and an SEM (scanning electron microscope). These tools are useful for nano-robotics (in the future), and I used to do research at the CMU nano-robotics lab back in the day . . . but figured it'd just be a pretty picture tutorial if I wrote stuff up . . .

Opinions anyone?

(and before you say 'yes', remember that I could be using that same amount of time writing more practical tutorials for you instead)

Offline izua

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • izua electronics
Re: AFM, STM, SEM, CNC, 3D printers, Mills, Rework Stations - tutorials?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 05:37:41 PM »
I'd say yes for CNC, mills and 3D printers. I don't even know a use for the others :P
Sure, there's buildyourcnc.com for the CNC thing but competition is never a bad idea  ;D

My motivation for saying yes? I'm pretty sure everyone gets at some point, with enough help the $50 robot wandering around.
But after a few reprograms, I'm sure he will want a better chassis, or maybe even a whole shape. Plus, that's not the only use for a CNC. You can always make your PCBs to solder those smt components on larger designed-pads. Robot enthusiasts having their own CAM machine around - I don't think that's a very bad idea, either.
Check out my homepage for in depth tutorials on microcontrollers and electronics.

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »
Oh, forgot to include laser cutters, water cutters, and injection molders in the list. I already did a tutorial on vacuum formers awhile back.

Sure, there's buildyourcnc.com for the CNC thing but competition is never a bad idea
Just to make myself clear, I won't be doing a 'how to make one' tutorial, but instead a 'beginners guide to using/buying one, with tips and safety notes, when to and not to use it, etc.'. Its obviously for the more intermediate to expert level robot making people . . .

Offline cooldog

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • be nice to nerds, one day they will be your boss
robot will rule the world and i will be building them
-admin

favorite web sites
http://www.societyofrobots.com/
http://www.instructables.com/

Offline skatj

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 11:29:11 PM »
Where does one usually get access to this type of equipment?

and I used to do research at the CMU nano-robotics lab back in the day . . .
:o
on an unrelated note, I got my SAT scores back and I am 90% sure I can get into CMU early decision next year. How difficult is it to get a research position as an undergrad, and would it be extremely difficult (i.e., will I get any sleep) to balance research, participation in robotics club, mechanical engineering coursework, etc?

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 04:56:16 AM »
Where does one usually get access to this type of equipment?
Universities and the military have this stuff. Right now I'm with the latter, so photography is restricted . . . but the company websites should have pics . . .

Oh, another to add, vacuum chamber! Maybe I'll just put a bunch on a single page . . . Crazy tools for robot making or something like that :P

How difficult is it to get a research position as an undergrad
fairly easy . . . just convince them you are a dedicated reliable worker (meaning you won't quit when exams and homework gets hard) and that you are passionate about the work and willing to work for free. If you are lucky, after about a semester, they might give you course credit for it in return. Sounds like a bad deal, but I think what you learn in return is invaluable.

would it be extremely difficult (i.e., will I get any sleep) to balance research, participation in robotics club, mechanical engineering coursework, etc?
CMU has a saying, "good grades, friends, sleep . . . choose 2"
CMU gives more work than most universities do . . . in fact rating like #6 in the most homework givin out . . . Basically, choose your priorities, and get good at time management, and you should be ok-ish . . . I struggled my first two years, but after getting the hang of things, it was easy coasting for me.

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 06:49:25 AM »
I would rather see a 3d design tutorial first perferably using something free but that can also be used for CNC and 3d printer. ( does such a program exist?) Also how about a build your own cnc machine tutorial and included in it is a tutorial on how to use the thing. It could spawn several different tutorials including a stepper motor controller and a PC interface tutorial. I think free cam software is already out there just need a way to connect it to the machine
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline izua

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • izua electronics
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 07:19:26 AM »
There is a ton of CAM software out there. Not sure about the free part, though.
Check out my homepage for in depth tutorials on microcontrollers and electronics.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list