go away spammer

Author Topic: like robot products in 'sexy' packaging?  (Read 5553 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
like robot products in 'sexy' packaging?
« on: May 12, 2008, 07:54:14 AM »
I was looking for peoples opinions on how the packaging affects your opinion of a robot product.

For example, if a servo came in a plastic bag vs a nice box, would you have a much higher opinion (or feeling?) for the product?

Would you be willing to pay $4 more for a nice casing to hold a microcontroller?

Do you require nicer packaging for more expensive products you buy (vs cheaper)?

If you were in a store that sold robot stuff, what stuff on the package would catch your eye and be useful/interesting to you right away?

Would a hard copy of a 'getting started' sheet in the package be useful, or would an online version be good enough?

Ever bought a microcontroller before and have an opinion of the packaging that came with it?

(Im asking so that I can make up my mind on the packaging that is best for the Axon)

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
Re: like robot products in 'sexy' packaging?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:06:49 AM »
I would pay extra for a nice plastic storage case that would store a product.
I'm thinking a strong plastic case where I could store the Axon after use.

My personal opinion: a hard plastic case molded to hold the axon , maybe some foam in there too so the axon doesnt break

for cheaper products , I prefer to have a nice box encasing it - like servos in boxes instead of servos in plastic bags.

I always prefer a hard copy of getting started

I got an ooPIC board once , all it came was in a static proof bag . The bag did its job , but if it would have come in an antistatic hard plastic enclosing , I would be more impressed .
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline bukowski

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:24:21 AM »
Personnaly, I like it when I feel like Im getting a deal on a product, and couldnt care less how it appeared. If I had the option of buying a part in a retail store with nice packaging, or pay less for the same product on ebay that I get in a cardboard box, id go with ebay.
Of course, it should be packaged in a way that it wont be easily damaged.

I like hard copies if it isnt more than 10 or so pages long.

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:08:18 AM »
you asked if we would pay $4 more for "nice packaging"... $4 more than what?  $4 more for a $3 item?, then no... $4 more for a $75 item, then maybe yes...

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:33:23 AM »
I like how sparkfun does it. a generic red sparkfun box for all their electronics, with the electronics sealed in a plastic bag and some popcorn in there. and then the documentation is online so you can ship it in a smaller envelope.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 12:22:25 PM »
Since you will be having only on-line sells, just use something ergonomic...
Just an anti-static box perhaps with a SoR Axon at the outside but most importantly, as mentioned before,
 include some stand offs and a Plexiglas base... simple things... but you see these things really matter
when the product arrives at the costumer...

A hard copy may be included if requested for free... charge only postage....

That's my opinions...

Hope they help...

Lefteris
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 01:21:47 PM »
Documentation is always expensive. If you note some last minute errors you dont want to have to re-print. Pass on the cost of the print to the end user - ie supply a PDF (either on CD or via website) and let them choose, and pay, to print it out. Docs are invaluable and absolutely necessary but tend to be 'post sales' - ie they don't help you sell more but those who buy do want them.

As I am a 'European' then you MAY also need to think about foreign language versions and translation costs. I get fed up when I buy something like a kettle and it comes with a 40 page manual of which 2 pages are in English - the other 38 are in other languages. Someone, ie ME the consumer, is paying for it.

As for packaging:- then I don't think that your product is an 'impulse buy'. Folk wont walk into the local store and buy it on a whim - rather they will seek it out because of its pedigree or reputation. So the packaging should be obvious to someone who is looking for it on the shelves. But if your sales stream is via the web then packaging has no sales input at all - they've already bought it by the time they see it. However: the packaging should then be robust enough for posting. Otherwise - most packaging is thrown away - so I'd rather not pay for it!! However - if the packaging is to survive the postage system via a storage case (as mentioned by others above) then this could be worthwhile. I like my 'Dremmel tool' as it comes in a neat plastic carrying case rather than being thrown into the toolbox with the other junk.

I'm sure you've also thought about this, so sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but you need to think whether your packaging/advertising etc  promotes 'SoR' or the 'Axion' or 'Your Name'.  ie 'the company', 'this product, or 'you'. The danger of a 'product led promo' ie just Axion, is that if you bring out another one in 2 years time then no-one  ( except us lot of course ::) ) will know that its from the same company that gave us the Axion (unless you call it something dull like Axion2 !). So build a name for yourself, or for SoR, so that it adds impetus for all the products you may produce later.

Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

Offline mackmelby

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 02:24:23 PM »
It really depends on the price. If its an expensive microcontroller product, It should be packaged in a hard container. Anything thats cheap or low price should be packaged in a cheap package. I realy like the way they package ipods...

Offline AndrewM

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
    • I Am.  When?
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 02:28:25 PM »
As a techie, I have always been a no frills kind of person.  When I go into the local hobby shops to find something I have to have right now, I don't care what the packaging is like.  But I do like having a sheet of paper with the basic tech info at a minimum, like a data sheet instead of a full blown manual.  Might not even need to go with a datasheet, as long as you shove in a scrap of paper with the internet address for the product documentation.  I just hate having to hunt the internet to find the basic info on what I bought.  

Brushless ESCs are horrible for this, I actually burnt out one because I could not find a manual easily enough.  I started my search again while the smell of burnt electronics was still in the air, but didn't find the manual until the odor was long gone.

A nice plastic box with antistatic padding is aways good for electronics, similar to how Maxim-IC does their samples.  No frills, just a box with the part.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 02:29:55 PM by AndrewM »
blog: www.iamwhen.com
Saving the world from humanity one robot at a time.

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »
sexy? packaging. lol.

yeah nice frilly box not required for me, as long as it wont break
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 05:15:20 PM »
no frills

nice antistatic packaging like this

Remember people eventually need to store the Axon away

www.Narobo.com

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 05:48:11 PM »
I hate useless packing as in those vac sealed packages most consumer products come in. As far as online stuff goes I could care less a package would be nice but I'm more into building larger robots if I buy something expensive (such as my plans for the axion) So I will build the axion into the robot and leave it there. Smaller MC tend to be cheaper and come with esd foam to stick them in. That I like. My Z-8 Encore starter kit came with the prototype board and the programmer in a nice package for $50. I liked that but it was more of a prototype platform so I was going to store it. So maybe a packing option but not a requirement. More like an accessory in the form of a hand case or several style of cases depending on how much people want to spend.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 05:46:59 PM »
plastic case should be standard as I am almost sure that this board will need to be stored when switching projects, traveling , etc.

www.Narobo.com

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 02:40:22 AM »
no frills

nice antistatic packaging like this

Remember people eventually need to store the Axon away

I liked that very much...

+1 from me...

Lefteris
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline izaktj

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 04:44:21 PM »
A military-like case for the axon would be nice   :P

Offline gamefreak

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 01:58:29 PM »
As long as the packaging doesnt cost more then 10% of the products cost and it can be reused im happy.
All hail Rodney, the holy 555 timer
And Steve said: "Let there be lead!"

Offline Tsukubadaisei

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 08:52:21 PM »
I usually like strong, reliable and nice looking packages for anything. My only problem is an eviriomental problem. Naturally, better packages require more resources amd that contributes to more junk and energy wasted. So if it is something that is already created to deal with harsh conditions like motors, I wouldnt care very much if it is just wraped in some paper. But gears or some electronic components like ICs should come in some sort of box.

By the way one of my bigests rants about bad packging are harddrives. Those things are very delicated, they are the reason for half computer failures (the other half are due to PSUs) and they came on a simple plastic bag.
A.I.(yes those are my initials)

Get Your Ad Here