go away spammer

Author Topic: Robot for visualistic studies  (Read 1305 times)

Offline kaffeeTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Robot for visualistic studies
« on: September 06, 2010, 05:54:00 AM »
Hi @all,

I am really new to the whole robotic thing ;)

I just want to ask if someone may know a robot (kit) programmable in C or similiar including the following features :

->Stereo Vision Cams (just two cams or the ability two add one)
->Wifi connection (the whole image processing should take place on a linux pc using the GPU etc. not on a micro-controller)
->Basic movements (forward,backward,rotate)

There don't have to be other sensors.

I heard about the surveyor svs but maybe their exists something even cheaper then this because as you know as a student you have a really small budget.   :'(

I've even thought of building something on my own - however, I dont think I have the skills to build something like that just out of the box without any experience.

Maybe one of you can help :)

Regards,kaffee

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
Re: Robot for visualistic studies
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 06:49:24 AM »
You are better building it yourself from off the shelf parts. All you need to do is mount the parts together. If you buy a ready available kit, you still have to mount the parts, but it will be more expensive, as someone else has done the research selecting the parts in that kit.

If the system will use a computer for processing, you have 2 options:
- buy a MiniITX or NanoITX PC board and install it on the robot and use cheap webcams for vision
- buy a wireless router and install it on the robot and use IP cameras for vision

In both cases, you will need a microcontroller to interface with the motors and servos, but the connection method is easier in the first case, as you only need a USB port to control it. In the second case, you need a Network shield or adapter so you can plug your microcontroller in the router. I heard about Linksys routers that have a serial port and you can recompile the Linux firmware on them to be able to control the microcontroller.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline kaffeeTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Robot for visualistic studies
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 07:55:01 AM »
Thanks a lot for the response!

I think I'll go with the miniITX solution as it is the cheapest and easiest way as well.

I will do a little research on hardware and prices and will come back if I have any further questions (that will definitely happen :D)

Regards

Get Your Ad Here