Author Topic: Newb in need of some tips  (Read 1649 times)

Offline AyameTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Newb in need of some tips
« on: July 29, 2009, 07:26:04 AM »
Hello. I hope this is the right place to post. I'm a total newb when it comes to robots which is causing some problems.  :o

I'm doing a disso on robots, specifically line followers and genetic algorithms/techniques to make one work, evaluate methods, technical stuff. Gonna be using LeGOS, Eclipse. The robots I have to work with are the RCX [2 LEDs, 1 bumper sensor] and the NXT. Bumper sensor should reset the program weights to change the robot's behaviour, should it impact anything, I suppose.

So at the moment one idea is to experiment with various NXT sensors as a means to get it to follow this line. Might compare the two robots if possible, and senses. Other ideas are about how many sensors to use, how many artificial "neurons" to use, what works well.  i.e. Supposing two neurons to be a "simple solution", would 1 work, is 3 better, etc. Thick line to follow, thin line, shapes, etc.  :-\

I'm supposed to look into feedback capabilities, such as IR or speech recognition software also. At the moment these don't seem possible.  ???

I'm on a strict time limit, so I suppose I'm posting here seeking some thoughts, improvements or ideas on the subject. Perhaps some experiences from enthusiasts. It'd be such a great help. I'm still struggling to make it sound interesting!

Hopefully all that makes sense, I'm new at this.

p.s. Asking for opinions  is counted as research.  :D

Offline wil.hamilton

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
  • rtfm
Re: Newb in need of some tips
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:48:08 AM »
probably the easiest way to follow a line is with an ir emitter/detector to read the "color" of the line.  i'm pretty sure the NXT comes with a light sensor which can be used for this purpose.
use the google.  it's your friend.

Get Your Ad Here