Author Topic: buying electrical tools  (Read 1347 times)

Offline futurrobotechTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
buying electrical tools
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:11:42 AM »
I'm working on getting my workshop complete and I'd like to all the stuff I need. (So I'm not doing it the ghetto way). I found a tool kit for 100$ at curios inventor http://store.curiousinventor.com/tool-kits/deluxe-electronics-essentials-tool-kit.html my question is how good of a deal is it. I don't really know the value of thing being I'm just starting to fiddle with electronics outside of school.
thanks

Offline MrWizard

• Helpful? 0
  • My cylon friend told me a killing joke......
Re: buying electrical tools
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 02:53:05 AM »
It looks like a good set to start with but I have no idea about the quality. I bought everything seperate and most of the time these kits are no the best quality (less then average).

May be there is a RadioShack or Electronic Parts store who can select together with you the same items, but on average quality. So you can look and feel. Good quality tools come with medium-high prices.

Offline WhomBom

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 04:30:12 AM »
It looks like a complete set, everything for your basic needs. Don't expect the things you get to be of great quality though! (probably not even medium quality)

If it was me i wouldn't buy the set as you'll end up replacing almost everything eventually.

Ofcourse you don't have to buy a 200$ (or more) fluke multimeter right away, a 10$ one like the one in the set will do fine in the beginning but other stuff such as the wire cutters aren't that expensive in good quality so if you buy a decent one now you will probably have it for life (or close to at least). for a soldering iron you could also check out some used ones; in my experience 30$ on a used brand soldering iron are better used than 40$ on a new noname thingy. If you insist on buying new, I heard aoyue gives great value for money.

perhaps, if you want everything that's in the set including the third hand and what not you'll spend a bit more but remember; you get what you pay for!

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 08:13:02 PM »
Hi,

I'm working on getting my workshop complete and I'd like to all the stuff I need. (So I'm not doing it the ghetto way). I found a tool kit for 100$ at curios inventor http://store.curiousinventor.com/tool-kits/deluxe-electronics-essentials-tool-kit.html my question is how good of a deal is it.
None at all IMO.
Perhaps you don't wanna go ghetto, but like (in) a bad joint, the Dikes and the Strippers are of inferior quality ;)

The multimeter is much too expensive, you should be able to find one of the same type (perhaps branded otherwise) for $3..$5.

The Flush Cutters are OK (can be bought separately, but can be bought everywhere).
The PanaVise are OK, especially if you later get more stuff for it (it's a modular system).

The Solder and the Solder Wick can be had everywhere. The Solder Station may be OK for a first timer, but it really isn't all that (to put it mildly).
The rest is of no particular value and I'd hate to use such equipment - sad tools takes the joy out of the work.

You're gonna buy tools for the rest of your life (I have currently more than 25 cutters, a few crappy and some very specialized like one with tungsten blades, another one in titanium etc., but if I see a nice one that I don't have... ;D) - so you could just as well buy a cheap set for starters, but go to a store and have a look-feel before you part with your hard earned.

And do shop around a bit, or you're gonna get mad when you see the equivalent at half the price.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

data_list