Author Topic: $50 Robot LED purpose?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline walkercreationsTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
    • walkercreations
$50 Robot LED purpose?
« on: January 20, 2011, 04:40:34 PM »
I for the life of me can't figure it out. I have read the $50 Robot tutorial through and have searched here on the threads for what purpose the LED on the $50 Robot MCU serves and I can not find one. Could someone please shed some light (no pun intended) on this for me? I have verified my MCU is working and have successfully programmed the hold_servo.hex file into the MCU.
Peter Walker
Fruitland, MD USA

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
Re: $50 Robot LED purpose?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 06:20:19 PM »
the LED pin is there to be programmed by the micro controller, much like pin 13 on an Arduino has a LED attached.

the LED is not a power indicator. you have to include some code to tell that pin to go HIGH.

• Helpful? 1
    • walkercreations
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 06:30:20 PM »
Excellent! Thank you very much for that info. I will have to explore that option more. I am currently trying to figure out what resistor to use for the Photoresistor Sensors but not really sure the answer. It seems like you would want something that would allow you to operate the robot in any room anytime. Has someone come up with an "average" resistor that will work in any lighting situation?
Peter Walker
Fruitland, MD USA

Offline Conscripted

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 10
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 06:36:47 PM »
I read online to use a resistor half the difference between your high and low resistance. I don't know if that is the best answer though.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:38:29 PM by Conscripted »

• Helpful? 1
    • walkercreations
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:07:30 PM »
That is what the tutorial suggests, but "high" in my house would be different than "high" say in my office or anywhere else I would wont to display the robot. Same goes for the "low" readings. I thought maybe someone had come up with some type of "happy medium" resistor that would work for most any condition.
Peter Walker
Fruitland, MD USA

Offline greywanderer012345

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 08:46:39 PM »
Since the admin's video shows the robot trapped in a square of sunlight, maybe use sunlight as the greatest lightsource. (Still working on my $50 robot myself)

Offline Conscripted

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 10
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 09:25:35 PM »
That is what the tutorial suggests, but "high" in my house would be different than "high" say in my office or anywhere else I would wont to display the robot. Same goes for the "low" readings. I thought maybe someone had come up with some type of "happy medium" resistor that would work for most any condition.

The photoresistor will have a high and a low resistance that is specific to the part. The amount of light will be different in your house or a friends. Measure the resistance in the dark and with a bright light on it. That will give you the information you need.

• Helpful? 1
    • walkercreations
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 07:31:49 PM »
(light bulb goes off in my head)  :D I get it now. The difference will be in the part and not particularly the light itself. Thanks for the explanation.
Peter Walker
Fruitland, MD USA

Get Your Ad Here

data_list