go away spammer

Author Topic: need help making programer  (Read 5622 times)

Offline ed1380Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
need help making programer
« on: June 16, 2007, 09:17:03 AM »
since the $15 programmer doesn't work, I'm gonna make my own based off this
I have a parralel port cable from an old computer and it comes with a header like the old programmer.
I understand connecting ground to ground, but the old prgrammer and pc board of the $50 robot has a pin for +.
would i connect that to the parallel port or not, since it's not menioned in the instructables?

here are the asociated pics.

http://www.captain.at/electronics/atmel-programmer/atmega16-programmer.png

I'm thinking of putting resistors in the black box for a clean look-- \/  This one
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 09:19:32 AM by ed1380 »
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Re: need help making programer
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 03:53:49 PM »
well I made it using the first link/picture as a guide, but I did put a resistor on the ground wire.

ponyprog doesn't recognize anything, and it is set to parralel mode. IDk if I have to reverse reset or any other shit like that.

tried winavr programmer's notebook like the instructable says, and it pops up a bunch of errors about how stuff is not included. I cut and pasted admins code for the robot and I did have the makefile in the directory, but it says the header file aint there, but is in the code. the batteries are dead now and the hsf on the 5v regulator is burning hot, but no succes

I either suck at electronics/software/programming or they hate me, cause even after about 4 hours I couldn't hook up the router to my pc.
over the phone with a tech it took about 10 minutes.
so I pretty much quit since I have put about $100 into this hobby already and have gotten nowhere.
now give me something mechanical or electrical (not electronic) and I'm good.
so my next hobby/goal in life is making a go-kart. heres what I have so far. This too
see ya over here and here
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 04:06:25 PM by ed1380 »
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 06:19:43 AM »
bump :'(

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 10:44:13 AM »
I can't give you advice on how that programmer works for C...

But if you download Bascom-AVR demo, in the help file you will find a Sample Electronics programmer that is made with a DB25, 3x330 ohm resistors and a ribon with a connector like the one you are showing above. But be carefull, the programmer does not work on laptops (something related with the parralel port implementation...).
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline Eco19R

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 11:45:23 AM »
Some time when you have extra cash just buy the better programmer - sometimes you will spend more money trying to do it yourself then if you just bought something pre-made

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 12:59:05 PM »
I can't give you advice on how that programmer works for C...

But if you download Bascom-AVR demo, in the help file you will find a Sample Electronics programmer that is made with a DB25, 3x330 ohm resistors and a ribon with a connector like the one you are showing above. But be carefull, the programmer does not work on laptops (something related with the parralel port implementation...).
that's almost exactly what I have. I used 1k resistors

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 01:37:36 PM »
It's not the same. The pins are connected differently on the DB25.

Here is part of the help file:

Sample Electronics submitted the simple cable programmer.

They produce professional programmers too. This simple programmer you can make yourself within 10 minutes.

What you need is a DB25 centronics male connector, a flat cable and a connector that can be connected to the target MCU board.

The connections to make are as following:

DB25 pin -> AVR pin

2 - [220 ohm resistor] - MOSI
 4 - RESET
 5 - [220 ohm resistor] - SCK
 11 - [220 ohm resistor] - MISO
 18-25 - GND

Note that 18-25 means pins 18,19,20,21,22,23,24 and 25

You can use a small resistor of 100-220 ohm in series with the 2, 4 and 5 pins in order not to short circuit your LPT port in the event the MCU pins are high.

It was tested without these resistors and no problems occured.

Tip : when testing programmers etc. on the LPT it is best to buy an I/O card for your PC that has a LPT port. This way you don?t destroy your LPT port that is on the motherboard in the event you make a mistake!

I received the following useful information:

I have been having spurious success with the simple cable programmer from Sample Electronics for the AVR series.

After resorting to hooking up the CRO I have figured it out (I think). When trying to identify the chip, no response on the MISO pin indicates that the Programming Enable command has not been correctly received by the target.

The SCK line Mark/Space times were okay but it looked a bit sad with a slow rise time but a rapid fall time. So I initially tried to improve the rise time with a pull-up. No change ie still could not identify chip. I was about to add some buffers when I came across an Atmel app note for their serial programmer "During this first phase of the programming cycle, keeping the SCK line free from pulses is critical, as pulses will cause the target AVR to loose synchronization with the programmer. When synchronization is lost, the only means of regaining synchronization is to release the RESET line for more than 100ms."

I have added a 100pF cap from SCK to GND and works first time every time now. The SCK rise time is still sad but there must have been enough noise to corrupt the initial command despite using a 600mm shielded cable.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 01:52:05 PM by Ro-Bot-X »
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline stinkerbomber

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 04:11:52 PM »
This one works fine for me:

http://www.olimex.com/dev/images/avr-pg2b-sch.gif

I've programmed the $50 prototype board several times using Ponyprog2000 choosing LPT1 with Avr ISP API  and using the photovore tutorial making my own modifications. It took only a few seconds to write and verify the program to the ATmega8.

Offline stinkerbomber

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 09:12:31 AM »
Correction: LPT1 using Avr ISP I/O  not  Avr ISP API  ::)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list