go away spammer

Author Topic: Connecting a search light to the axon II  (Read 1334 times)

Offline SylvestreTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
Connecting a search light to the axon II
« on: August 16, 2011, 06:34:27 PM »
I am looking to connect a search (probably a flood light) light that operates when it is fed by 12 v to the Axon II?  Will I just need to use a voltage regulator to regulate it down to 3.3 or 5 volts?

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: Connecting a search light to the axon II
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:57:11 PM »
You would connect the search light to the 12V power supply, and have separate lines going to the Axon II.

If you're powering servos connected to the AxonII, you'll want to regulate down to 6V for those (5V works, too, but slower/weaker... no personal experience here) with a regulator on that second line.
I

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 07:19:55 PM »
Hi,

I assume you want to be able to turn it on/off? (or you wouldn't have to connect it to the controller).
You'll need a transistor, and perhaps a relay to control it on/off, but what's needed depends on the lamp(s), so until you have the exact specs. (type, voltage, current, want them go full blast all the time or not, etc.) it's hard to say how they should best be connected.

If you get the lamps (or at least select the exact type that you know is available) before designing the circuit, the circuit will fit. Do it the other way 'round and you might not be able to get what you planned and that could mean an extra spin through the prototype stadium..
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 12:45:40 PM »
My mistake everyone, the camera I am buying has built in IR leds in it so I will not be needing a search light.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 06:27:15 PM »
Hi,

My mistake everyone, the camera I am buying has built in IR leds in it so I will not be needing a search light.
They're probably only good for close up's and if you hope to use it at greater distances, you need a substantial IR projector (at a wavelength of around 830nm).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 08:28:56 PM »
It has 36 IR leds and it said it had a range of 70 feet which is all I need.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list