go away spammer

Author Topic: problem getting robot conponents-need help  (Read 3992 times)

Offline 123laurensTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
problem getting robot conponents-need help
« on: September 30, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »
well,i want to make a robot,like the one in the 50$ tutorial,but there is a problem,i live in south Africa,and the shipping costs are HUGE(30$-50$).so what im thinking is buying the parts for my second robot idea at the same time,or,start with a more advanced one.my plan is to use sharp IR for my first robot,not photo-things(programed to turn left whenever it gets too close).then put it on a non agusted servo,look left right when too close and turn in the furthest direction...still using the 50$ tutorial brain.

another question,for an LCD(planning a 4 line and its buttons(4 buttons,maby 3).
every online store that sells LCDs say that they are ""cerial enabled"does that mean you can plug it in to the cerial port?or do you need a special UART?

for the buttons,is it possable to make 2 buttons fit on 1 sensor cable thingy?cuz 4 sensor ports used just for the buttons is a bit much...(can someone design the circuit and the programing for me?)

what im planning to buy:
4 black tiny button things that go on circut boards
2 perf boards(1 to put buttons on and another for the controler)
electrical parts(see rezons of perferated board(above))
3 servos(2 for weels,1for sharp IR)
1 sharp IR
2 weels (using a 3rd mini trolly wheel we have lying around instead of bottle)
and ithink thats it

lastly,do you think this is a good idea (i am going to use this company that gives my an addres in USA i think were i will "live"meaning only 1 shipping cost) to do the GUI,the buttons,wether i shud buy them in one go and what to buy in that 1 go (my origional plan is to bay all above at onse but im quite unsure,wich is why this post is here.)

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: problem getting robot conponents-need help
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 03:01:38 PM »
Hi,

$30 to $50 isn't that bad I think (I have seen shipment rates of up to $200 for very little weight).
But, don't you have any electronics stores in SA? Or perhaps some production companies that you could sweet talk?

Ordering from India or Australia may cut down on shipping (and perhaps the prices as well), if all else fails.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline knossos

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 03:26:04 PM »
I would definitely go with purchasing the extra parts to reduce shipping costs.  I would probably still buy and build the photoresistors for sensors just for learning reasons (and they are really inexpensive too).

As for the LCD, look at the data sheet to remove all doubt.

As for a small weak servo for mounting a sensor on, I got a really good deal on a bunch of SG-90's ($2 USD each including shipping to US from Hong Kong).  Maybe something like that would work for you.

Lastly, when I lived in Germany, I used to order computer parts from a store that would not ship overseas.  To get my parts I went through another company that would give a US address to receive parts and then would forward the items to me.  Sounds like what you are talking about.  It worked well for me.

Your list seems decent, just don't forget a battery/battery holder, wires, connectors, etc.
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 11:08:15 PM »
well, there is an electronics store, in the corner of a science shop here,but it is very bacic. they aremoving to another mall,i hope that they will still have parts...

well istill need help on the buttons,i was thinking of 1 resistor for each button,soth signal is different for each button tru only 1 cable,can someone tell me wich values to use?and make sorce code for me in c?i will put u you in the credits!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:03:36 AM by 123laurens »

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 10:00:57 AM »
update:ive found an electronik store in south africa after a long time of googleing,and they even have the ATmega8!bad thing is,they only have stepper and DC motors,and 0 sencors,only electrical parts,and they are in a different city.i can still get it shipped for less than other places,tho.i think i will buy the LCD,servos,sencors,weels,eck from sparkfun,not using that special shiping company thing,as that will just be to complex

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 07:10:10 PM »
the best universal source for parts is scrap. everything has something, it's just a matter of getting it out alive.
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 09:51:52 PM »
the best universal source for parts is scrap. everything has something, it's just a matter of getting it out alive.

ya you never know what you'll uncover when you crack open that case. i've gotten most of the parts for my projects that way.
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Get Your Ad Here

data_list