Author Topic: Sheet metal sensor holders?  (Read 2164 times)

Offline XyverTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Sheet metal sensor holders?
« on: May 03, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »
Can you use sheet metal (steel) to make sensor stands? Or will the metal short circut it, or would plastic be easier.  Im using IR rangefinders (Im sure those will be fine)  and this: http://www.robotshop.ca/devantech-ultrasonic-range-finder-srf05-1.html .  The exposed back it what worries me.  What could I use to cover it?

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Sheet metal sensor holders?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 08:38:50 PM »
The answer to your question is on the page you linked to:
http://www.robotshop.ca/lynxmotion-multi-purpose-sensor-housing.html

For the ultra sonic sensor stand-offs are required to space the PCB away from the bracket. The Sharp IR distence sensors can be mounted directly onto the metal. Look at the pictures in the above link.

Offline XyverTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:04:27 PM »
I dont want to buy them, I want to make them.  Does that mean metal is feasable as long as its seperated?

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:18:52 AM »
Yes, as I stated above.
The link was for you to see how the sensors are attached to the metal brackets not for you to buy them. A lot can be learned by looking at and noting the details of how some one else built something.

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 05:49:59 AM »
I have previously used some heat shrink(16mm) around my bracket to insulate the surface. Another option is a few layers of electrical tape covering the bracket.

The best option is to use some standoffs or something along those lines but if you don't have them or need a temporary way the above ones are cheap and a lot of people have that stuff already.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 12:41:32 PM »
Hi,

What could I use to cover it?
For the IR, you can just cut out the metal so that the connector is accessible from the back of the bracket.
For the US, you really need stand offs, as a direct mounting, whether isolated or not, will bend the PCB and probably break off some of the SMD components over time.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

data_list