Author Topic: 555 astable operation with one resistor  (Read 1938 times)

Offline imarcianolocoTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
555 astable operation with one resistor
« on: October 25, 2010, 10:14:49 PM »
well, here is a different form I discovered to run the 555 IC in astable multivibrator with only 1 resistor. I don't know if this circuit has already been invented before (probably has :P) but I've never seen it before in any diagram so hmmm... maybe it is new!! The duty cycle of the output is a constant 50% no matter what the frequency, so it won't work for PWM or anything that needs the duty cycle to be variable, but for a simple clock circuit it works great!

http://imarcianoloco.blogspot.com/2010/10/555-single-resistor-astable.html

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: 555 astable operation with one resistor
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 10:18:51 PM »
Hi,

I don't know if this circuit has already been invented before (probably has :P) but I've never seen it before in any diagram so hmmm... maybe it is new!!
Quite old hat. You'll find it in the CMOS-555 datasheet (and in numerous schematics on the net).

The duty cycle of the output is a constant 50% no matter what the frequency, [...]
If you use a CMOS version of the 555 (7555, 555C etc), you'll get quite close to 50% duty cycle, but with a plain old 555 you won't, as the output is far from rail-rail (and the duty cycle will most likely differ from one chip to another).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list