Author Topic: 2.4ghz interference - Virtual Presence Bot  (Read 2191 times)

Offline pkott716Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 1
2.4ghz interference - Virtual Presence Bot
« on: March 02, 2015, 08:43:48 AM »
Hello All! I've finally had some time to start on my virtual presence bot, its running and driving wonderfully. However, I have a ton of interference when I try and use a 2.4ghz  Wi-Fi camera, every time the transmitter turns on, the video feed stops instantly, is there anyway to remedy this? Thanks in advance!

Offline GrimBot

• Helpful? 4
Re: 2.4ghz interference - Virtual Presence Bot
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 09:57:51 AM »
Is it a problem with the flicker selection? I know some places power frequencies are 50hz while others are 60hz. Maybe something is set for 50 when it should be 60 and the result of that flicker is  the cause of that video feed stopping.

I don't know, one of my webcams is always asking me if I live in a 50 or 60 hz area and the reason for the question is to avoid flickering.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 02:11:28 PM »
Ide never considered the flicker,

To add some more info to this, the bot is controlled currently from a 2.4ghz 5 channel RC transmitter, the camera is a HTC Droid Incredible 2, running an app to stream through the network to a local IP address. The current setup works beautifully, but instantly when I turn the transmitter on, the video freezes. I know they make dual band routers that work on 2.4ghz as well as 5ghz, would this potentially solve this interference?

I guess I don't understand why they would interfere with one another, pretty much everything in a home runs at 2.4ghz, microwaves, televisions, etc and they don't have any effect on the signal.

Would making the bot controlled by the web via WiFi instead of a transmitter stop the interference?

Just looking for a little helpful banter, thanks again.

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 03:41:52 PM »
 :) Hello!
I would check out the grounding of the robot, to avoid any
floating RF. Shielding may help. Keep me posted.... :) :) :)

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 09:49:04 PM »
I thought I would update on this project, I still have not solved the interference problem, however by wrapping aluminum foil around the transmitter it stops the camera from dropping out, so I assume its a problem with shielding, I've also changed the channel of the WiFi to a less used frequency. Does anyone have know a good way to shield a transmitter better? Heres a picture of the project so far.

thanks!

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 07:01:18 PM »
 :)
The best way for shielding is use a conductive metal around the
item you need to shield, then ground the shield. This process is used
commonly in communication centers; and I think on the wires on the plane
in Air Force One. (Presidents plane.) Good luck!   ;D ;D ;D

Get Your Ad Here

data_list