Author Topic: Electronic Component Organization  (Read 16160 times)

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: Electronic Component Organization
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »
yea i have those bags except with no label. i just got print labels and cut em up and put my components into a bag. im still wondering what to do with those bags now?
Howdy

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Two decades+ of Embedded Design
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2009, 07:40:47 AM »
Fill them with parts!

A fast way to have a nice selection of parts is the variety packs like the Dick Smith resistor pack that I linked to. I'm willing to bet that I have some resistors left in my drawer from the short time that Dick Smith was here in the states.

Jameco Electronics (California) has variety packs, too.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 07:47:35 AM »
hmm, ill buy a few of these next time i place an order http://www.futurlec.com.au/ValuePacks.jsp one thing i dont get is it says 300 resistors for $3.31 and theyre less than 1c per resistor, how does that work? lol  :P
Howdy

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2009, 08:08:56 AM »
hmm, ill buy a few of these next time i place an order http://www.futurlec.com.au/ValuePacks.jsp one thing i dont get is it says 300 resistors for $3.31 and theyre less than 1c per resistor, how does that work? lol  :P

How does that work? It works really well for you! :-P That is a good price - for the cost of a bad fast-food meal you get a pile of resistors.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 08:19:30 AM »
i dont buy fast food! well thanks for the tips gearmotion!
Howdy

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2009, 09:24:28 AM »
resistors are extremely cheap to manufacture and they're made in large quantities .I have a similar pack of resistors - definitely buy them, well worth it
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 05:20:52 PM »

How does that work? It works really well for you! :-P That is a good price - for the cost of a bad fast-food meal you get a pile of resistors.
what i meant by that was that 331>300 thus making it more than 1c p/resistor but yea ill pick up a few of those grab bags soon as ill be making a $100-$150 order soon. bulk buy anybody?
Howdy

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2009, 06:09:50 PM »
I dunno about those generic value packs, usually there arent a wide variety of values. I went on eBay and got a 2500 resistor assortment, 50 pcs of 50 values for about 20 bucks shipped. Now I know I have a wide variety of values. Cheapest stuff is usually on eBay where you can eliminate the middle man and buy direct from overseas where the stuff is made.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 06:11:34 PM by Razor Concepts »

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2009, 08:40:29 PM »
i have this:

I used a label maker to make labels for each drawer. Someday when I have the funds for it im going to completely redo my little lab and make it something much much better and buy like 5 more of these things while im at it lol
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2009, 09:28:29 PM »
i just got a set of these http://shop.voltelectronics.com.au/30-drawer-unit-parts-cabinet.html except with 20 drawers from my local big w (like walmart) for like $30 reall shoulda bought the online ones above for same price but with extra 10 drawers :( oh well, theyre working great. one more thing, should i worry about the component legs oxidizing? will putting them in packets help at all? like the little press and seal ones? or should they be fine sitting in the drawers? i have them in the bags right now but i want to know if oxidizing will be a big problem at all without the bags??
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:08:24 AM by SmAsH »
Howdy

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2009, 08:20:49 AM »
i just got a set of these http://shop.voltelectronics.com.au/30-drawer-unit-parts-cabinet.html except with 20 drawers from my local big w (like walmart) for like $30 reall shoulda bought the online ones above for same price but with extra 10 drawers :( oh well, theyre working great. one more thing, should i worry about the component legs oxidizing? will putting them in packets help at all? like the little press and seal ones? or should they be fine sitting in the drawers? i have them in the bags right now but i want to know if oxidizing will be a big problem at all without the bags??

Oxidizing depends on your environment. Putting the components in little bags will limit the environment to the environment of the little bag. I have some old power resistors with oxidized leads. I just clean the leads with a nylon pad before I use them. Some components will hardly change, others will relatively quickly. You can't stop the march of time.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2009, 03:34:12 PM »
dammit! i wish the doc was here to help me, na, ill ditch the bags cept for the resistors because i want like 5 different values in the one drawer but ill just get some emery type paper. thanks guys :D
Howdy

Offline galannthegreat

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Blue-Lensed Blue LEDs?! What?! Impossible!!
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2009, 09:32:10 PM »
Well, it seems people here have many methods of storing parts/components, well I personally use little baggies to separate specific types of components and then I use some large ziplock containers to store them all together, but with bags labelled indivdually (yes... every single little baggie... and yes I can almost say I have no life ;D).
Kurt

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2009, 07:32:49 AM »
Well, it seems people here have many methods of storing parts/components, well I personally use little baggies to separate specific types of components and then I use some large ziplock containers to store them all together, but with bags labelled indivdually (yes... every single little baggie... and yes I can almost say I have no life ;D).

That is great! You have an organized and compact way of storing your parts. I would imagine that my 3 bins full of resistors consume a lot of empty space, and that put in little bags and then in larger bags that the space would be reduced to a quarter or less of the current amount of space.

That is a very good approach to consider.

Offline galannthegreat

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2009, 10:43:23 AM »
Yes it's definately good to consider, due to the fact that when you are looking for the right resistor you want, and looking through a jumbled mess gets very hard on your eyes, and neck (being hunched over for a long time sucks :( )  But when its all complete its usually just a matter of finding the right bag.  :)
Kurt

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2009, 11:06:19 AM »
One engineer that I worked with used a system where he had 12 drawers for resistors. The drawers were labeled like this:

10    12    15    18
22       27    33    39    
47       56    68    91

In the 10 drawer he stored 1 ohm, 10 ohm, 100 ohm, 1k ohm, 10k ohm, 100k ohm, and 1M ohm.

in the 12 drawer he stored 1.2 ohm, 12 ohm, 120 ohm, etc.

When he needed a 10k ohm, he looked in the drawer for a resistor with an orange third band.

His system worked for him.

Take a look here (what I use): Resistor labels for some printer labels for your resistor drawers or bags. They look like this:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 01:18:25 PM by GearMotion »

Offline dellagd

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Come to the dark side... We have cookies!
    • Exodus Rocketry
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »
wow
is electronics like your job?
Innovation is a product of Failure, which leads to Success.

If I helped, +1 helpful pls

I Won!
3rd place! I'm taking $100

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2009, 11:24:09 AM »
wow
is electronics like your job?
Embedded design engineer.

Offline galannthegreat

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2009, 12:58:59 PM »
Wow, that is a very good method, looks pretty efficient too.
Kurt

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2009, 01:22:50 PM »
Oops! I published the link wrong. This is what I meant (fixed above, too)

Take a look here (what I use): Resistor labels for some printer labels for your resistor drawers or bags. They look like this:

Get Your Ad Here