Author Topic: military lasers, review on the current state of funding/research  (Read 2367 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
An interesting article in IEEE Spectrum on lasers in the US military. I'm sure you guys have heard of ground based lasers shooting down rockets, and lasers on big airplanes . . . well, ABL and THEL are both canceled - basically deemed impractical in realistic battlefields.

But don't worry, the funding hasn't been canceled, just new laser technologies need to be researched.

(its related to robots cause no evil robot is complete without freakin lasers on its head)

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/optoelectronics/ray-guns-get-real/0

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: military lasers, review on the current state of funding/research
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 04:19:09 PM »
hah, i knew ABL wouldn't make it :P going that far over budget is terrible...
zues looks promising though, reminds me of the days of command and conquer generals...
Howdy

Offline ozbot

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 03:08:08 AM »
"basically deemed impractical in realistic battlefields" - that's what they want you to think....

consider the B2 bomber.....according to wikipedia it has a top speed of 604mph.  It flew to afghanistan, ~8000 miles away?  at top speed, 13 hours one way, from whitman airforce base, missouri.  2 pilots in a plane for 24 hours? Is there room for a thunderbox in there? I think it more likely for these things to be classified, than admitted "hey, we have a new secret weapon...check it out!!" it is a matter of national security, no?
I was so disappointed to learn that half the people I know are under average........but the other half more than make up for it.

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 11:47:53 AM »
i seem to remember something about an airplane with a big lithium iodide (or something) laser on it to shoot down missiles already in service
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 03:32:53 PM »
really? i think i mightve seen something like that in one of my science magazines too?
Howdy

Offline wil.hamilton

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
  • rtfm
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 04:54:24 PM »
the zeus sounds cool,  i've seen video of the THEL on modern marvels or something like that on the history channel
use the google.  it's your friend.

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 06:13:02 AM »
when you think about it. one the ABL are up and runnng and in service and if the Zues and or the THEL get into enemy hands the ABL is history, a 76.4 m long 214 500 kg missiel. But it would be cool to some day be fighting(not that fighting is good in any means) with lasers. The concept is cool and can be done from your verander. ;D

Get Your Ad Here