go away spammer

Author Topic: things that need to be Identified...  (Read 9922 times)

Offline megaman935Topic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
things that need to be Identified...
« on: July 04, 2007, 08:07:56 PM »
Ok, I opened up a toy walkie talkie and it has a lot of things on a board, excluding the speaker. there is a black thing (looks like a old watertower, only half of one) some orange round things, some tan hot-dogish things that have colorful lines on them (what do they mean?)- I believe they are called resistors, but I wanted to make sure- some black tall tube-like things that say 10v, and three wierd things: a large silver rectangular box (connects to a button) that says DC, an orange thing that has a red ?tape? around it and a silver thing that is like a box with 24 sides that contains it, and a large copper tower thing with copper wire around it. If you could I dentify these for me, then tell me if I can salvage them, I'd be much obliged.

Mega

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Re: things that need to be Identified...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 08:29:56 PM »
can you get us a picture?

half of water tower is probably a transistor.
yes the hot dog things are resistors
the black tall tubes are probably capacitors. shold also say XXuf on it
the rectangular box is probably a switch
IDk about the rest
sorry
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 08:35:04 PM »
try a book called electronics for dummies
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0

—Thomas Edison

Offline Kohanbash

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 06:09:33 AM »
The lines on the resistor can be used to tell the value of it. The orange round things might be capacitors. The large copper tower with copper around it is probably an inductor.
This is like a game trying to guess components, A picture would help.
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 07:08:18 AM »
I did a little research on wiki and found that the large black tube things are electrolytic capacitors. It was invented in 1921 by Julius Edgar Lilienfeld. :o and I'm going to do more in wiki. Here is a pic:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 08:09:49 AM by megaman935 »

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 07:11:59 AM »
One that looks a little like a spool of thread (forgot to include) is an inductor.

I'm doing this research and including pics for others.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 08:08:16 AM by megaman935 »

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 07:19:29 AM »

I believe that smallest one is what I have, therefore the 1/2 of a water tower is a transistor.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 07:20:51 AM »

pic of resistors (hot dog!)  :P
From wikipedia: Four-band identification is the most commonly used color coding scheme on all resistors. It consists of four colored bands that are painted around the body of the resistor. The scheme is simple: The first two numbers are the first two significant digits of the resistance value, the third is a multiplier, and the fourth is the tolerance of the value. Each color corresponds to a certain number, shown in the chart below. The tolerance for a 4-band resistor will be 2%, 5%, or 10%.

The Standard EIA Color Code Table per EIA-RS-279 is as follows:
This table was also taken from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor
Color    1st band    2nd band    3rd band (multiplier)    4th band (tolerance)    Temp. Coefficient
Black        0                     0                   ?100         
Brown      1                   1                 ?101                      ?1% (F)             100 ppm
Red        2                     2                   ?102                        ?2% (G)               50 ppm
Orange      3                   3                 ?103                                               15 ppm
Yellow       4                    4                  ?104                                                25 ppm
Green       5                    5                  ?105                      ?0.5% (D)    
Blue        6                     6                   ?106                       ?0.25% (C)    
Violet      7                     7                   ?107                        ?0.1% (B)    
Grey       8                    8                   ?108                       ?0.05% (A)    
White      9                   9                  ?109         
Gold                                               ?0.1                          ?5% (J)    
Silver                                                ?0.01                  ?10% (K)    
None                                                                          ?20% (M)    
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 07:30:23 AM by megaman935 »

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 08:49:07 AM »
What does the resistor do?
How to build a biped bot:

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 09:26:44 AM »
From Wikipedia: A resistor is a two-terminal electrical or electronic component that resists an electric current by producing a voltage drop between its terminals in accordance with Ohm's law: R = \frac {V}{I} The electrical resistance is equal to the voltage drop across the resistor divided by the current through the resistor. Resistors are used as part of electrical networks and electronic circuits.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 09:31:06 AM »
Does anyone know what kind of wires (copper,silver,etc.) that these use?

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 11:51:43 AM »
Does anyone know what kind of wires (copper,silver,etc.) that these use?
these being what?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 04:27:18 PM »
Resistors, transistors, basically everything I listed above. :P

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 04:51:28 PM »
megaman - the wires used in these electronics is usually pure gold, but that is not the best part... it is what's inside that is really cool... resistors, for example, use rare natural diamonds!  You should rip those things out of the walkie talkie and bring them to a reputable jeweler... I bet they are worth a fortune!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 04:52:05 PM by Steve Joblin »

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 05:09:17 PM »
Seriously?

Offline Robotboy86

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 06:38:03 PM »
lol not really, 99% of eletronics use cheap and easy to find materials..

A lot of stuff uses copper, sometimes it uses silver(most conductive really) or gold.  both are SUPER conductive..  Gold is VERY popular in computer parts, such as proccessors..

Its not worth much though, even if you melted down all the pins from a hundred proccessors.. it wouldn't be worth crap.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 06:56:05 PM »
If I wanted to make the wires longer/ replace would I have to use the same material? or could I, say, use copper if it were gold? would it still work?

Offline Robotboy86

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 07:22:04 PM »
ya it would work...

Most of those shouldn't need to be extended though..  and to be honest, for the cost of wire you could buy most of those parts

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 07:22:52 PM »
while it is true that different metals conduct electricity at differing levels of "efficiency", for you what you are trying to do, it will make no difference.  You can use any type of wire that conducts electricity.  I strongly suggest you get your self a beginners guide to electricity and electronics before you do anything.  There are many good tutorials on the web.

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 07:51:40 PM »
megaman - the wires used in these electronics is usually pure gold, but that is not the best part... it is what's inside that is really cool... resistors, for example, use rare natural diamonds!  You should rip those things out of the walkie talkie and bring them to a reputable jeweler... I bet they are worth a fortune!

LOL maybe you should read up on electronics yourself! I'm not exactly sure where you got the natural diamonds idea, unless you consider carbon graphite powder diamonds... Resistors are mostly made from carbon powder mixed in a ceramic composition, then coated with a plastic resin, no diamonds here. And as for them being worth a fortune.. WTF! That doesn't even make sense, if companies make and sell resistors for pennies a piece, why wouldn't the companies sell them to jewelers themselves??? Think about what you say before you say it.

—Thomas Edison

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 08:37:41 PM »

LOL maybe you should read up on electronics yourself! I'm not exactly sure where you got the natural diamonds idea, unless you consider carbon graphite powder diamonds... Resistors are mostly made from carbon powder mixed in a ceramic composition, then coated with a plastic resin, no diamonds here. And as for them being worth a fortune.. WTF! That doesn't even make sense, if companies make and sell resistors for pennies a piece, why wouldn't the companies sell them to jewelers themselves??? Think about what you say before you say it.
he was being sarcastic.

here are some books for you to read.
http://www.esnips.com/doc/89bbd348-107f-46b7-ba71-a9d5679376ec/Wiley---Electronics-For-Dummies---2005---(By-Laxxuss)
http://www.esnips.com/doc/1a6c6fba-441d-4a4d-a219-018354d81631/Teach-Yourself-Electricity--Electronics
http://www.esnips.com/doc/fb3e1ecb-4ee4-4744-ac85-7dbec53618e8/Mcgraw-Hill---The-Robot-Builders-Bonanza
thats about 1900 pages so read up  ;D

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 06:53:24 AM »
I don't know if Megaman can afford all that... I suggest he start with a free tutorial like http://electronics-for-beginners.com/index.php
(and yes, I was being sarcastic)... his reply of "really?" made it all worth while!

Sorry for having fun at your expense Megaman, no hard feelings... Feel free to email/pm me anytime if you have a question about components.  The good part is that you are learning!  I see that you figured out that the strped hot dogs were resistors.  You even found a chart that explains how to understand the colors.  So let's see if you can put it all together... If you have a lightbulb hooked up to a battery through a resistor, would the lightbulb be brighter if the resistor had orange-yellow-brown-gold stripes or if the resistor had blue-brown-red-silver stripes?  This is not a trick question or anything... just want to make sure that you are actually learning what each component does.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 07:36:33 AM »
I don't know if Megaman can afford all that... I suggest he start with a free tutorial like http://electronics-for-beginners.com/index.php
(and yes, I was being sarcastic)... his reply of "really?" made it all worth while!

Sorry for having fun at your expense Megaman, no hard feelings... Feel free to email/pm me anytime if you have a question about components.  The good part is that you are learning!  I see that you figured out that the strped hot dogs were resistors.  You even found a chart that explains how to understand the colors.  So let's see if you can put it all together... If you have a lightbulb hooked up to a battery through a resistor, would the lightbulb be brighter if the resistor had orange-yellow-brown-gold stripes or if the resistor had blue-brown-red-silver stripes?  This is not a trick question or anything... just want to make sure that you are actually learning what each component does.
It's ok- I love making people smile!!! ;D

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 07:50:16 AM »
Orange yellow brown gold: 340 ohms (323-357 ohms)
blue brown red silver: 6,100 ohms (5490-6710 ohms)
I've still gotta figure out if the higher is brighter or lower...

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 09:03:50 AM »
V=I*R

—Thomas Edison

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2007, 06:39:18 PM »
More things that need to be Identified/told about/ told to me whether it is salvageable- (I have 2)
and yes- my hands were wrinkly because I just got outta the pool.. :P

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 06:40:27 PM by megaman935 »

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2007, 06:41:04 PM »
this was a home security system....

Offline sotu

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 05:16:59 AM »
I read about this but maybe i dident understand it the way it is:
You dont need a resistor but its better for avoiding to injure your electronics, is this right?
How to build a biped bot:

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2007, 07:05:55 AM »
Ok, say you have a nine volt battery, and a LED you bought at the store. 9 volts would most likely cause many problems. But the LED came with a paper saying "use 220 ohm resistor with nine volt battery" your whole world just made sense. ;D You need a resistor for this- and almost everything else.... resistors aren't useless nor are they expensive. for 12$ you can buy 500 of them (probably last you for 6-7 years of experiments).

P.S. an example of 220 ohms is red-red-brown-gold

Get Your Ad Here

data_list