Author Topic: I'm going to make my first Robot, Can you help me?  (Read 2016 times)

Offline BepoTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
I'm going to make my first Robot, Can you help me?
« on: December 23, 2009, 07:45:16 AM »
Hi all, I am a 16 years boy, In the 2nd year of secondary school, I design small "innovations" since the sixth grade of primary.
In the Elementary School, I studied computer sciences in my home (Visual Basic 6.0 , FrontPage , Photoshop, etc..)

Now I want to merge these two trends (innovation, computer science), I think that the only way is to design a robot.
Google guide me to this beautiful site, But the only one problem for me is the site using a English Language as a main language,
and i am not that good in English, So I miss a lot of time reading an one article.
Because that i need your help to tell me the needed tutorial to gain time.

My idea is to make a robot which have a either 4-wheels or 6-arms (RHex style)
And it should be connected to my personal PC using  either Wireless signal (Wi-Fi) or Internet Connection if the Wi-Fi signal missing.
I can drive it from my PC using UI (User Interface) , And see what is in front of the robot through the (Live View) camera.
It has a sensors to now the air temperature and send the value to my Program (User Interface " Control Program "), A sensor for avoiding cars, peoples , stones ..etc)
(I will drive it cross the streets (Not in Highways of curse) And it maybe away around 1 Km from me)

Robot can carry rain water, simple shocks, Hot & Cold weather as possible (In my city at the summer the temperatures reaches  59º C, winter 3º C)
It has a good torque engine with different rotation speeds (Movement of the Robot: Slow mode - Normal Mode - Turbo Mode) (I can select the speed from my program)
It will great if i can now the speed of robot, Look behind it, If that possible & helpful (If it has a GPS  antenna which send the position to my program and my program send the same value to Google Earth to use it as a remote navigation system)
Low- Lighting to be easy to see the Robot in dark streets, High-lighting to illuminate the front of the robot.
Great Battery life (Solar , and dynamo power generation) to make the battery life longer
Microphone and speaker to make a chat between me and the person who close to the robot.
In "Means of safety" section the robot trying to find safe place to park there if the both Wi-Fi and Internet Connection down
Battery status in my program to avoid the end of the battery without reference to my place.
Charging dock (base) , Robot automatically connect it self to the charging dock if the battery less than 5%
It can carry things easily (At least 1 Kg)

1. What about my Project, is it that possible idea to do ? any of the previous features need to explain? Avoid? change ?
Any thing to add?

2. I need your help to make this robot , and before that i need a technical list of needed parts to buy it and ship it to my country (Takes about 2 weeks to arrive)
Then i need a help to join all part and programming the Micro controller  (UI App. is easy to program for me)

3. How much money do I need to pay for the purchase of parts (In $)

Thanks,
Bepo

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
Re: I'm going to make my first Robot, Can you help me?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 09:24:08 AM »
1. Your project seems fine, all completely possible to do.

2. I highly doubt that anyone here has the time to design your robot for you, and even if they did, where's the fun in that?

3. It all depends on where you look. I prefer mouser.com myself.

Also, try to run the 50$ robot tutorial through google translate and see if that helps.
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

Offline little-c

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 09:41:47 AM »
advice, write out the componats you need.

ie, gps ect.

look for tutorials on those. this site, and any other you want.

and probably hack a remote controled car/tank/toy to use as a base(saves building your own) personly Id build in phases. ie, working driving control whilst teathered, then transmiting pictures, and so on. then you can spread the cost of parts over time. and not crash into stuff with too many sensitive electronics on board.

also, hack up an old fax machine(gears, stepper motor, wires, metal sheet ect) or telephone no one wants... speaker + mic all wired up, even have a handset for them to talk into!

pretty straight foward.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 02:53:53 PM »
What exactly is your budget for this?
It's going to cost quite a bit for the specs you want, especially if you go for the hexapod...
Howdy

Offline BepoTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 05:36:21 AM »
1. Your project seems fine, all completely possible to do.

2. I highly doubt that anyone here has the time to design your robot for you, and even if they did, where's the fun in that?

3. It all depends on where you look. I prefer mouser.com myself.

Also, try to run the 50$ robot tutorial through google translate and see if that helps.

1. Thanks for your reply
2. I do not want to design one is instead of me, But I do not have sufficient experience in the selection of appropriate pieces, and as I mentioned earlier that the reading of a tutorial is difficult for me, I can not read (Translate & tiring to understand the tutorial after translating)  a lot of threads to the topic continued to be appropriate for me, so I hope help me connected to the tutorial which useful for the project.
3. It's a great site , a lot of part sold there , but i can't decide which part should i use (Technically at least) .

advice, write out the componats you need.

ie, gps ect.

look for tutorials on those. this site, and any other you want.

and probably hack a remote controled car/tank/toy to use as a base(saves building your own) personly Id build in phases. ie, working driving control whilst teathered, then transmiting pictures, and so on. then you can spread the cost of parts over time. and not crash into stuff with too many sensitive electronics on board.

also, hack up an old fax machine(gears, stepper motor, wires, metal sheet ect) or telephone no one wants... speaker + mic all wired up, even have a handset for them to talk into!

pretty straight foward.

Thanks for the value advice .

What exactly is your budget for this?
It's going to cost quite a bit for the specs you want, especially if you go for the hexapod...

The highest budget can I get about 500 $

(Note: I want to work the draft is ready to work on any computer
So it's better to stay away from the use of a LPT & Serial Port, If necessary to use one of them, How to Get(Buy online) a (USB to LPT,Serial) cable because i hear that some of that cables which sold here in my country just for printing jobs "not for control things"

Please help me , MAKING A ROBOT IS MY DREAM AND I WORKED HARD TO GET MY BUDGET.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 05:45:59 AM »
Well, if your max budget is $500 you might want to opt for the 4 wheel option as 6 legs would eat up that $500 pretty quickly...
So, i think the first step in this is to start defining exactly what you want your robot to be able to do
and the features you want aboard it, then we can start to help you with picking out components.
So, can you make a list of the features you want the robot to have?

EDIT: I have reviewed your list and im sorry but the advanced things you require might not be able to be done
with $500...
What i got from the first post was:
Remotely operated via wifi.
Live camera feed to base via wifi, Maybe consider using a wireless camera instead of wifi?
1km range for above.
Measure air temperature.
Object detection and avoiding said objects.
Three driving speeds (easily done with pwm)
Encoders to read speed of robot.
Possibly look behind it, separate camera or pan for first?
GPS module.
External lighting.
Good battery life, possibly solar cells to increase.
Microphone and speaker for chat over wifi.
If wifi connection lost robot navigates to "safe" spot autonomously.
Self docking upon low battery.
Able to carry payload of approx 1kg.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 07:57:21 AM by SmAsH »
Howdy

Offline Audacity

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 08:46:08 AM »
I'm NOT the best with electronics but i have built this project and it might help you with one of your goals

Video of it: How to Make a USB solar Charger for Ipods and Junk. (p.s i am NOT the owner of this video and it says solar panel ipod charger but it could be used with any usb devices.)

Parts: http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/L78M05CV/?qs=W%252b4obUA0F3aqrcvWM74scg%3d%3d
http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kycon/KUSBLX-SMT-AS1N-B/?qs=D%252by4jQJzx8Lac6kCvD9erQ%3d%3d
And for the solar panel you can get it anywhere but just follow the videos specs

hope this helped and good luck :)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list