Author Topic: Need: Free full IDE with C compiler for PIC16F877A  (Read 9091 times)

Offline frank26080115Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
Need: Free full IDE with C compiler for PIC16F877A
« on: June 29, 2007, 10:11:17 PM »
I need a free, that means no limitations at all, integrated development environment with a good C compiler that works with midrange PICmicro microcontrollers like a PIC16F877A.

I tried SourceBoost, but the compiler without a $60 licsence won't let me compile programs with too much ram or rom usage, I can't even compile a ADC + PWM + LCD demo program.

C18 is only for PIC18 microcontrollers... I might do extensive header file modifying if it is my last resort

Everything else I found limits to "2 RAM banks, 2K program memory supported", I need more
It can't have any limits... sorry but it's going to be something big, I need more RAM and probably all 14.3K of program memory

Does anybody have any suggestions? Hopefully open source?
And even if C18 works, after trying SourceBoost, MPLAB has a crappy GUI compared to SourceBoost

And I only need unsigned chars, I don't need any variables larger than 8 bits either, and I don't need a library since I already wrote a lot of my own stuff

Thanks

Or... Should I order a few sample PIC18F4525? They are pin-pin compatible with the PIC16F877A, and is a PIC18 so C18 would work with it

I need my first ever robot done by the end of the summer...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 10:24:14 PM by frank26080115 »

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
Re: Need: Free full IDE with C compiler for PIC16F877A
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 08:56:32 AM »
so i'm aware this will be a controversial recomendation but i'd sugest you look at AVRs instead of PICs.
AVRs have a choice of free and open source compilers while to my knowlage, PICs have none.

the learning curve is not that big for someone who is allready familiar with PICs.

dunk.

Offline pokey

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 04:44:22 PM »
I haven't worked with C for a long time, but try looking a plugins for Eclipse. Eclipse is a free IDE with good CVS support but doesn't do a whole lot out of the box. To get it up to scratch you need to install plugins, but htere are lots to choose from.

Offline KambeiX

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 07:11:04 PM »
I need a free, that means no limitations at all, integrated development environment with a good C compiler that works with midrange PICmicro microcontrollers like a PIC16F877A.

I tried SourceBoost, but the compiler without a $60 licsence won't let me compile programs with too much ram or rom usage, I can't even compile a ADC + PWM + LCD demo program.

C18 is only for PIC18 microcontrollers... I might do extensive header file modifying if it is my last resort

Everything else I found limits to "2 RAM banks, 2K program memory supported", I need more
It can't have any limits... sorry but it's going to be something big, I need more RAM and probably all 14.3K of program memory

Does anybody have any suggestions? Hopefully open source?
And even if C18 works, after trying SourceBoost, MPLAB has a crappy GUI compared to SourceBoost

And I only need unsigned chars, I don't need any variables larger than 8 bits either, and I don't need a library since I already wrote a lot of my own stuff

Thanks

Or... Should I order a few sample PIC18F4525? They are pin-pin compatible with the PIC16F877A, and is a PIC18 so C18 would work with it

I need my first ever robot done by the end of the summer...

You should try sampling a few 18F

You can get 12 40-pin samples, that should last you quite a bit if you take care of them.

There are many with a lot of memory, so you shouldn't have problems after the C18 optimizations run out.

Offline frank26080115Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 12:35:33 AM »
i already ordered some 4525 chips since they are pin-pin compatible

how do i take a shot at the .lib files for c18?

I also found CC5X, it seems like what I am looking for, but there is a 1024 instructions per module limit, what is a module? Is it "void something()"?

Can't get SourceBoost IDE to work with it though, so I'm probably stuck with MPLAB forever, I'm getting used to it

Offline sheth_ka

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:26:18 AM »
if your open on changing your programming language, you could try using mikrobasic,it uses basic programming language,if your worry is the limitation of 2k hex file, you could download the patch file of mikrobasic to make it full ver its free anyway..if you cant find the patch file just drop your email add and i send it to you..
if you want to stick using c programming, you could also try using mikroC, patch file of it is also available on the net..just be patient on searching it..
for free download of the softwares ive mentioned just visit this website..www.mikroe.com
hope this could help you..goodluck to your project.. :)

paulstreats

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 04:20:37 PM »
My advice is to go with the PIC18 sries, there are many pin to pin comatable devices, and they have an extended instruction set which makes it easier for people to make effective C compilers for them (that is why there is a free comiler from microchip for them. the PIC16 series was never originally intended to be programmed in C). The extended commands allow for modifying the return stacks and stuff so you can do a lot more object orientated and RTOS stuff.

The PIC16 series is pretty much obsolete now...

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 10:08:45 AM »
There are *NO* good free C IDE compilers for the PIC16 series. CCSC is a great compiler, but no IDE, and its definitely not free.

The free ones are buggy, don't follow standard C rules, etc. I've tried them, they all suck. Huge headaches . . .

Take paulstreats advice, use the 18 series. Or go AVR ;D

Offline arixrobotics

• Helpful? 3
    • TalasTronics WCIT KL2008 Fund Raising
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 08:57:56 AM »
I thought MPLAB comes with a free HITECH C compiler which can be used with the 16 series already? I 'think' the only limitation is it does not do full code optimization. You should be able to use all your RAM though.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 10:39:50 AM »
arixrobotics, emphasis on the word good :P

I tried MPLAB around 2002, and was definitely disappointed.

paulstreats

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 05:05:50 PM »
I think you are confusing that with the C18 compiler - the only restriction is optimistation.

The HITEC Lite compiler for the C16's limits rambanks plus limits codesize.

I tried MPLAB around 2002, and was definitely disappointed.

I find it to offer more than being just a code editor (which is what it essentially is). It allows you to do code simulations, watch ports, set interrupts, monitor registers - importantly including the return stack and many other functions. You just need to take the time to learn all of the extra bits that are included.

Its one of those personal preferences but it does do a lot - youve just got to learn how to use all of the functions

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 06:08:34 PM »
Oh, my issue was that it didn't follow standard C. I remember it not doing math functions properly, for example, making it really hard to debug code. Perhaps those issues have been fixed since.

Offline smartie_on_computer

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 12:54:51 AM »
i havnt looked into this but you could have a look at SDCC here

paulstreats

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 06:39:09 PM »
Oh, my issue was that it didn't follow standard C. I remember it not doing math functions properly, for example, making it really hard to debug code. Perhaps those issues have been fixed since.

Its important to remember that MPLAB is a development environment(code editor, watch windows, register monitors, hex code simulator etc...) Its not a language in itself. You just plug a language/compiler into it - in your case probably HITEC C. Its the language or compiler that doesnt follow standard C (even though HITEC C claims to completely follow ANSI C standards).

Once the code is compiled either with the assembly compiler its shiped with, or one of the C compilers, the MPLAB system can take the .hex file and simulate running that code on your PC. you can view whats happening with pins through watch windows, add pin stimulus yourself and generally see what your code is doing on the microcontroller before you download it.

Get Your Ad Here