go away spammer

Author Topic: Coils for a linear motor actuator  (Read 1772 times)

Offline jasonheadTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Coils for a linear motor actuator
« on: May 17, 2015, 04:56:06 PM »
I'm exploring an idea for a linear motor actuator, with step control.
If I want to buy the individual electromagnet coils for each control section, what would be best to search for?
The idea is that each coil could be operated separately, and lock the core in place, or be used in sequence to move the core.

What types of inexpensive coils on the market would fit best to build this? Say from ebay etc.

Offline bdeuell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 15
Re: Coils for a linear motor actuator
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 06:06:25 PM »
buy magnet wire and wind your own coils

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
Re: Coils for a linear motor actuator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 03:02:40 PM »
 8) cool concept! n 8)

Your request...
I'm exploring an idea for a linear motor actuator, with step control.
If I want to buy the individual electromagnet coils for each control section, what would be best to search for? The idea is that each coil could be operated separately, and lock the core in place, or be used in sequence to move the core.
That request is multifaceted in many respects. I do not know where to start..........
To summarize, you want to build a series of electromagnetic cores that work together to
secure movement in a linear fashion to do work.(?)

This type of device is called a solenoid. Now, sequencing multiple solenoids, use phase control,
to multiply work; I have not seen. I have not seen phase control on a solenoid. :o VERY INTERESTING!
Phase control can produce "hotter" power than regular "clean" power.
You could experiment with a solenoid, using a DC drive; The DC drive could be programmed for
any number of phase controls which may result in your desired power control. That would
produce an advantage I have not seen before.(it may already exist, though)
To be more efficient, you could use a PIC controller to produce the desired DC/AC Phase control,
condensing the size of the solenoid. If this works, it could be used to have more power in
robotic hands.(more electronics though!) Interesting; Good Luck!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Get Your Ad Here