go away spammer

Author Topic: Soldering wires onto DC motors.  (Read 3892 times)

Offline jim150454Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Soldering wires onto DC motors.
« on: September 15, 2015, 08:37:07 PM »
Hello,

I have been building a robot that has 2 DC motors for movement. These motors have those little loop pins with the holes in them to connect the wires to (These ones: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NNDBPGO?keywords=gear%20motor&qid=1442370734&ref_=sr_1_11&sr=8-11). When I solder my wires to the motors, I find that my wires are constantly breaking off from the motors at the point where I soldered them.

What is the best way to connect wires to these pins? Do I need stronger wires that will be more resistant to breaking?

Offline cyberjeff

• Helpful? 7
Re: Soldering wires onto DC motors.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 09:05:48 PM »
Hello,

I have been building a robot that has 2 DC motors for movement. These motors have those little loop pins with the holes in them to connect the wires to (These ones: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NNDBPGO?keywords=gear%20motor&qid=1442370734&ref_=sr_1_11&sr=8-11). When I solder my wires to the motors, I find that my wires are constantly breaking off from the motors at the point where I soldered them.

What is the best way to connect wires to these pins? Do I need stronger wires that will be more resistant to breaking?

Use stranded wire if you aren't already. Make sure you have a good mechanical connection before you solder, fold  the wire around the terminal after you push it through. Needlenose plyers helps.  And then ziptie the wire to the motor so there is no movement at the terminal.

Offline jim150454Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 10:12:23 PM »
I didn't think about using a ziptie. I'll give it a go. Thanks!

Offline Aswinth Raj

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 04:34:49 AM »
hi
This problem will be faced by all beginners, using a zip tag is a good idea :), i would suggest you to use a insulation tape to fasten the wire along with the body of the motor after soldering, make sure that you leave the terminals open so that it will be easy for checking voltage and other stuff at the terminals   

Offline bdeuell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 07:12:45 PM »
it is not clear if the wire is breaking or the solder joint. if the solder joint is breaking i.e. the wire is coming loose from the solder you have a cold solder joint.

I typically like to feed the wire through the hole and then lay it flat this way it makes a solid mechanical connection but is much easier to un-solder than if the wire is wrapped around the terminal. THen i would place shrink wrap tube over the connection that creates a bit of a strain relief.

i would also recommend stranded wire and zip ties as others have. you do not want there to be any movement at the solder joint so carefully chose how you route your wires and secure them.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list