go away spammer

Author Topic: Number Crunching Machines  (Read 9570 times)

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
Re: Number Crunching Machines
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 02:54:16 AM »
well its good coz foreign universities like cmu give courses in robotics , if i could take advanced courses then ill also want to know why androids dont drive us on the streets or fetch our grocery
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

"IN THE END IT DOESNT EVEN MATTER"

Offline vidamTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
  • Robotronics.org
    • DC/MD/VA Robotics and Automation Team
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 08:59:04 AM »
Just sumarizing sources of information that people have highlighted in this 30 page post that are areas of research currently:

1.) http://www.numenta.com/about-numenta/numenta-technology.php

2.) "How the Body Shapes the Way We Think" by Pfeifer and Bongard

3.) "Where Mathematics Comes From" by Lakoff and Munez

4.) Active Learning: http://www.ri.cmu.edu/pubs/pub_5529.html

If anyone wants to add to this list, please do. Otherwise, this list should keep me busy for a while.

Thank you all for your help.

Offline hgordon

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 7
    • Surveyor Robotics Journal
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 10:37:26 AM »
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:42:00 AM by hgordon »
Surveyor Corporation
  www.surveyor.com

Offline awally88

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2008, 07:25:01 PM »
Hey all,

We touched on a little bit of how a brain works in one of my engineering subjects in first year. The shortcuts paulstreats mentioned briefly are somewhat more basic. The brain's shortcuts( known as heuristics ) include things like having recognising vertical lines, recognising vertical lines, colours [take note of the u ;) ] and other basic functions which I can't remember offhand. You also have other heuristics which deal with decision making like the recognition heuristic which means that you chose something that you recognise or the take-the-last heuristic which means you do what you did last time.

I'll see if I can find some of my old books if anyone is interested or a quick wiki search is what I used to pass the online tests!

awally

Offline vidamTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
  • Robotronics.org
    • DC/MD/VA Robotics and Automation Team
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 03:16:32 AM »
Hey all,

We touched on a little bit of how a brain works in one of my engineering subjects in first year. The shortcuts paulstreats mentioned briefly are somewhat more basic. The brain's shortcuts( known as heuristics ) include things like having recognising vertical lines, recognising vertical lines, colours [take note of the u ;) ] and other basic functions which I can't remember offhand. You also have other heuristics which deal with decision making like the recognition heuristic which means that you chose something that you recognise or the take-the-last heuristic which means you do what you did last time.

I'll see if I can find some of my old books if anyone is interested or a quick wiki search is what I used to pass the online tests!

awally

Hey awally,

I would be interested to know more about these online tests and the take-the-last heuristic you mentioned. I've been out of graduate school for a few years in the workplace and would like to know what they teach in today's curriculum and if it has changed much since I was student.

Best,

Melanie

Offline alessio136

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2008, 03:49:21 AM »
I just got that robots are essentially number crunching machines in software.

So if humans are not number crunching machines then how is it we are so far superior to robots in dynamic environments?

robots and computer science have been developed in a century.

human being in thousands million years.

just be patient and let research do its job  :P

Get Your Ad Here

data_list