Author Topic: battle bots idea  (Read 8504 times)

Offline abh34Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
battle bots idea
« on: September 03, 2009, 01:26:48 PM »
i was reading through battlebots weaponry section sumwhr and i got an idea
i havent worked out too much
hw abt using flamethrowers

the basic theory is that alcohol or methane (methane is a bit too risky and i thnk not possible) will be spurted out from and outlet and the same time  a spark will be created so that the alcohol will catch fire.

but of course this wont work much if the opponent has a metal armour so first the armour has to be destoryed after the cooking of internal organs starts..................

also another kind of weapon is a spinnig disk fixed on a 360 degree rotaing arm
it will create a massive  impact coz of momentum and help in getting rid of the armour

yet another weapon (this is the most lethal one i tell u) is use of aqua regia
for those who dont know i must explain that is a mixture of 3 parts hydrochloric acid in 1 part nitric acid and is very dangerous (both for opponet and user bots) as it is highly reactive and can dissolve gold  in itself(gold is one of most inert substances)
but as u know it can prove to be a double edged blade

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: battle bots idea
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 03:11:37 PM »
okay? with the flamethrower, why not use plain old butane?
i can understand using a flamethrower as a secondary weapon, you would definitely need something else to help it out.
Howdy

Offline Truckstop

• Helpful? 2
  • I Void Warrenty's
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 08:07:06 PM »
i dont belive battle bots allows flame throwers. the guidelines clearly state the weapons allowed are only of the teathered type, ergo no guns, arrow, tazers, flamethrower's. etc.. there was another bot crushing comp however i remember watching, it might be allowed on that one they had some pretty neat stuff. can't remember what it was called tho. i always wanted to build a bot that would grab the other bot and drill holes in it.

Truckstop
The Mongoose: Natures Assassin
The Hyena: Nature's A$$hole
And.....
The Lemming: Natures Retard

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 07:58:36 AM »
butane(correct me if i am wrong ) is gaseous and using gaseous form of fuel can be risky as when it catches flame the fire will spread to the insides of the bot which is dangerous unless u have strong fireproof interiors.

thats why i said methane was risky....bot are alkanes hydrocarbons

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 05:46:42 PM »
well how does a lighter do it?
just hope to god it doesn't ;D
Howdy

Offline dellagd

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Come to the dark side... We have cookies!
    • Exodus Rocketry
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 08:03:38 AM »
hey smash
Well are you saying that the bot is flamable?
I think a huge pickaxe could do it. If the bot had armor, the target would need to stay still for a flamethrower or even one of those torches they use to heat up metal so its bendable. but you need something to do some damage quick or hold it in place so the primary weapon can do its damage.
Innovation is a product of Failure, which leads to Success.

If I helped, +1 helpful pls

I Won!
3rd place! I'm taking $100

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 08:14:09 AM »
liquid is MUCH more dangerous for a number of reasons. first of all it's very unlikely that it will burn cleanly and will most likely leave burning or even unburned puddles of fuel. second of all it's much more likely that since liquid fuel wont be diluted as much as gas that any flame will trail back to the the source. you should research safe meathods before you try any flame thrower. spinning disks on the other hand are very easy and brutally effective (except against other disks). they are however not easy to move while spinning. in any case it's a bit redundant to have them on a spinning arm since the arm is guaranteed to be weaker then the chassis and if you have the disk centered on the chassis it's self then you can have a 360 degree threat range at any given time (unlike the arm which can only be at one position at a time). 
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 03:47:36 AM »

liquid is MUCH more dangerous for a number of reasons. first of all it's very unlikely that it will burn cleanly and will most likely leave burning or even unburned puddles of fuel. second of all it's much more likely that since liquid fuel wont be diluted as much as gas that any flame will trail back to the the source. you should research safe meathods before you try any flame thrower

ya u are right abt the fire trailing back to the source, but if the liquid fuel is given out in small spurts and not in a single shott then it will further minimize the risk while still being effective........

but i thought abt some other ideas that dont even need to penetrate the armour i order to be effective.
for example
everybody knows that puncturing tyres has become kinda obselute due to foam filled tyres
so my idea is just spread a little vegetable oil on the tyres and lo, behold u have an out of control bot which is more susceptible to arena dangers

another idea is to use a good powerful magnet(electromagnet preferably) to stick to the bot while keeping it in close range with ur own bot(clamp bots are a good choice) so that u can keep control on it until the magnet does its work

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 04:02:12 AM »
so my idea is just spread a little vegetable oil on the tyres and lo, behold u have an out of control bot which is more susceptible to arena dangers
then what happens when your robot runs through it?
Howdy

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 11:32:32 AM »
You should read the rules first  ;)

No flame or fire of any sort, no electromagnet/EMP, no liquids of any type, nothing that will require major cleanup (shavings, ball bearings, etc),

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 11:17:56 AM »
read the rules
but still man we need some new types of weapons which dont go against rules bit still are good in battle

i had earlier thought of a foam covering on the armour to act as shock absorbers
but even if it is allowed u will have to replace it after every battle coz it is bound to take a good beating

Offline WhomBom

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 05:09:04 PM »
for a flame thrower you could try dissolving as much styropor in gasolene as you can, this makes a sticky fluid that burns, smokes, and sticks to anything.

But within rules how about a blade that spins low above the ground an takes out the other bot's wheels?

Get Your Ad Here