Author Topic: PaPeRo Japanese Robot  (Read 1823 times)

Offline ninjawolfTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
PaPeRo Japanese Robot
« on: February 13, 2011, 01:26:03 AM »
If you've seen the PaPeRo robot, i need he'll. If you haven't, and know a lot about robots, then go search for it on youtube and stuff.
Anyway, since they're not currently selling it for some reason, i was wondering: if you were going to buid your own version of it for the cheap, how would you do so?
I'm totally willing to sacrifice a few unneeded features (LEDs and the like).
Please nothing like "if i was gonna? I wouldn't" or "it'd be too hard." I'm just asking how WOULD you.
Also, i'm new to robotics but know computers. The more detail and information the better.
Thank you all in advance.

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: PaPeRo Japanese Robot
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:06:07 AM »
If You need help from others, the least thing to do is to post a link to a robot You are talking about:

NEC PaPeRo - Cute japanese Robot singing

If I was going to build one I would start researching the robot first to find out what it is capable of. After that, I would look for parts that can accomplish same tasks (as researched before). Finally I would put those parts together and program the robot.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline ninjawolfTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 01:47:51 PM »
Thanks, that does make sense. Here's a link to all the robot specs.
http://www.nec.co.jp/products/robot/en/specifications/index.html
So what are some things you know can replace some of those things? Also, how would you progam it? I only know a little HTML lol, so what language, not just for this, but robots in general?
Once again, i'm willing to sacrifice unneeded things.
Also, it's self-charging. When it's batteries low, it goes to a special thing and charges. Do you think if i put the batteries in the back or bottom, i could use one of those pads that you put your phone and stuff on to charge and accomplish the same thing? I know it's a lot of questions but i'm committed and you don't hav to answer everything,  but opinions are welcome (as long as they're helpful an positive)
THANKS AGAIN!

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 07:05:51 PM »
So what are some things you know can replace some of those things?
I believe such robot has more than one microcontroller to cope with different tasks(video, speech, hearing, etc), therefore You need few uC (microcontrollers) to implement all these tasks. As You can see in spec sheet, it does name all sensors the robot has, well, You need all of them in order to achieve same functionality.

Also, how would you progam it?
PaPeRo must have it's own libraries to make user-end programming easier, however as robot is not for sale libraries are not something that You will get ready written for You (and even if You did, they most likely would not be compatable with Your choice of uC), hence You have to write Your own control libraries from the scratch.

I only know a little HTML lol, so what language, not just for this, but robots in general?
Assembler and/or C

Once again, i'm willing to sacrifice unneeded things.
Not including LEDs in Your design will not make Your work any easier or budget lower. Skipping things like LEDs will be like missing one pixel on Full HD telly, if You get my point.

Also, it's self-charging. When it's batteries low, it goes to a special thing and charges. Do you think if i put the batteries in the back or bottom, i could use one of those pads that you put your phone and stuff on to charge and accomplish the same thing?
Anything is possible, however it all depends on Your skill and experience in the area.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Get Your Ad Here