Author Topic: Help building a Metal Gear  (Read 1849 times)

Offline FlamekidxTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Help building a Metal Gear
« on: August 06, 2010, 08:29:13 PM »
     Okay, I'm a first-time poster, and a beginner builder. Right now, I am planning to build a miniature Metal Gear ZEKE from the game Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. (Look on Google if you don't know what it looks like.) I thought that it looked pretty cool, so I decided I wanted to build my very own remote-controlled version (shrunken down, though). Basically, I would like to make it about the size of a regular washing machine, and have most of the required and optional parts. For those that haven't played the game, you need legs, a head, a walk motor, a power source and a railgun in order to use the Metal Gear. You can also get other parts for it: extra armor, jet boosters, and a radome. I hope to be able to put on everything but the jets and the armor. Also, I'm going to be using the Peace Walker legs, not the normal ZEKE legs, because that would give the robot beefier legs to house the machinery.
       Anyway, what I thought was that I would use miniature hydraulics in the legs, which would push and pull in order to bend the leg joints. That and the wiring would take up the majority of the inside of the legs. I won't tell what I'm going to be using to balance the thing (That's top secret! Shhh!).
       I would like to be able to control the thing from anywhere, so I would attach a Wifi-enabled webcam either on top of the head, where the dome is, or inside the radome on the side. I would also put servos in the radome, so it can move in multiple directions, letting it see anywhere in front of the bot.
       For the huge railgun, I would take out the firing mechanism (barrel, trigger, ect.) from a decent Airsoft gun, electric or gas, and put it in there. I would also use some sort of servo in order to make it swivel, like the radome.
       The head and power source on the back would house most of the motors, batteries, wiring, ect., all the essentials to make the thing run. The skeleton, I was thinking, would be made out of sections of PVC, and the outer armor would be scraps of metal or plastic that I could salvage out of some of my other, unused RC toys. For the jets and the walk motor, I have no idea how to install those onto it. Maybe some suggestions?
       Well, anyway, that's my idea of how I will (someday) build my first real robot. Before then, I will tinker around in building remote controlled cars and tanks, maybe a quad robot, just to test out my robot-making prowess. After I get skilled enough (and funded enough, since I'm only 14), I will build this, with the help of some of my friends.
         Now, for the reason I wrote this long post, can you "masters-of-all-things-robotic" give me any pointers, suggestions, show me easier solutions, and tell me what I did wrong in my planning. Also, don't steal my ideas. They're copyrighted with some guy I met on the street. He seemed official enough. Cheers!

Offline ballbreaker

• Helpful? 1
Re: Help building a Metal Gear
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 01:47:22 PM »
i thing an expert in robotics  would still be aiming high for this one  :P
making it walk its going to be the hardest part i thing because you will need excellent coordination so i suggest  you use wheels.

i suggest start slowly and focus at one problem at a time build it make sure it works then carry on start from bottom up and don't rush it
For Those About To Rock, We Salute You!

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 02:38:41 PM »
You can't copyright an idea. You patent ideas  :)

But yeah, its tough, but might as well try part by part. Like, dont go for the entire thing, make certain sections at a time. That way it is feasible. But the walking part is VERY difficult (just see how long it took Honda to make Asimo..), so not sure if that is in the do-able range.

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 03:08:54 PM »
like others have said this is going to be tough and you better have a nifty budget!

look here and chow down on these $ signs

http://www.robotshop.ca/biped-development-platforms-1.html

granted those are kits but i've priced it out and the servos they use can set you back almost as much as those kits are worth.
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas