go away spammer

Author Topic: Blinking LED with Potentiometer  (Read 4707 times)

Offline XyverTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Blinking LED with Potentiometer
« on: March 02, 2011, 03:31:16 PM »
Hey, my friend was asking me today about making an electronics project for him.  He wanted a pair of gloves, with LED's in the finger tips, and a potentiometer to control how fast they blink...  I know how to do this with a micro controller (or at least with an Arduino), but is there anyway to do it with just electronic bits?  A 555 timer maybe?  Just a way to do it without programming, and hopefully as cheap as possible.
Thanks alot!

Offline raptorwes

• Helpful? 0
Re: Blinking LED with Potentiometer
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:14:47 PM »
I have made an led flasher circuit with a 555 timer but it wasn't adjustable unless you changed resistors.If you Google "led flasher circuit " you will get some schematics

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:07:47 PM »
Hi,

A 555 timer maybe?  Just a way to do it without programming, and hopefully as cheap as possible.
Sure, study this page on the 555 and you'll be able to make it in no time flat.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:58:15 PM »
Alright, Ill get some parts to start testing with and check out the page.  the funny thing, is everytime in the past I've tried to use 555 timers I've had terrible luck.  They never worked. I used them in electronics, and I'd get my circuit all done, then put the chip in, and nothing would happen.  I'd get the teacher to check it, it was all fine and good, still nothing.  Tried a few new chips, still nothing.  Teacher took a few chips, made some circuits, all worked good.  But whenever I did, even when he was helping...  Hopefully this times better!

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 02:28:32 PM »
Hopefully this times better!
At least you've got some more practise since then :)
Sounds like it may have been your soldering that was flawed - use a magnifying glass and plenty of light to inspect the board after assembly.

You could try this circuit, but do study the tutorial page anyway.

C1 and R1 determines the time the LED is on. Increase R1 for longer ON-time.
C1, R2 and VR1 determines the off time and can be varied from ~0.07s to ~3.3s.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:27:40 PM »
It was all breadboard work.  I'll keep this in mind, and I'll save that image and bookmark that page, but I may not be able to do this for awhile.  Still need parts.  Thanks alot though!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list