go_away

Author Topic: cooked micro.  (Read 1312 times)

Offline little-cTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
cooked micro.
« on: February 04, 2010, 12:25:54 PM »
having nicely toasted my MBED (cool micro from ARM/NXP. I love it... but Im biased, I did a intern with them on the MBED project a few years back, learnt to code on it, so hey) I have been advised to find what works on it, ie where power goes to and if anything has life left in it.

so off I go to get the quest to get the MBED working.

so on to the main part, given that the MBED is symetrical and can be stuck into its bracket backwards, ie pass power lines through the I/O pins. what sort of circuitry would be advised to prevent me doing that again?

Im thinking breaking it out into an asymetrical pattern to make it difficult to reverse the direction of the micro.

any other good ideas?

Offline rgcustodio

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Use "Search" and ye might find answers!
Re: cooked micro.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »
I consider the mbed just a breakout board.

Cursory visual inspection is the cheapest way. If one work with electronics (chips and what not) one should know how to visually check the boards and should always have the schematics handy.

Change the pitch of the pins but this requires rework of the breakout boards. Well actually your original idea also requires rework of the break out boards. Rework is always a bad idea.

Or design the main boards (where the breakout board attaches) so that the connectors of the breakout board is oriented in a specific way (ie USB connectors always on the outside edge).
The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain. - H. W. Longfellow

understanding is the path to enlightenment

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 02:25:06 AM »
it is a breakout board, with a fair number of cool SMD bits on it. so I wasn't thinking about rewiring/reworking it, but soldering it to perferated board, and then putting asymetric pins onto that.

except of course my ruined one, which I am determined to get working!

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 03:00:32 PM »
burnt out regulator is the first culprit. I guess they shouldn't read something odd like 2 ohms when the non fried MBEDs reads about 1kohm?  ;D

yippie now to desolder and resolder a new one in place.

Offline gamefreak

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:20:33 PM »
Why circuitry? What is wrong with just taking a sharpie and marking in some way so that a quick glance will tell you if your wrong?

I love working with electronics but when it comes down to it a sharpie is cheaper and easier than creating a circuit(and I don't end up with fun soldering iron burns).
All hail Rodney, the holy 555 timer
And Steve said: "Let there be lead!"

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:24:40 AM »
because the board is very distinctive in the direction its ment to go in. usb thingie one end and big black chip thing on the other ::)

Im just a muppet and not very visualy orentated, so tend to do things by feel rather than looking. lack of depth perception. plus the old idiot proofing.

Get Your Ad Here