Author Topic: Recommendation for a torque cell  (Read 3882 times)

Offline robnubTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Re: Recommendation for a torque cell
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 11:58:04 AM »
Alright, in that case, just throw an encoder onto the LS and you're good to go.

Basically you implement a PID loop and play around with the P, I, and D constants until it does what you want. Keep in mind though that a finely tuned PID loop goes whack when there's strong wind coming in from random directions. When it comes to small flying vehicles in wind, it often shouldn't even point in the direction you want it to travel! Look up papers that say stuff like 'control of a micro-auv'.

You'll have to get a big fan to simulate winds and see how your control system responds to major disturbances.

ps - If you use WebbotLib, it has easy to use libraries for PID and quadrature encoders.
Thank you so much for your help admin :)

Sadly I do not use the ATm microcontroller :( Using PIC instead. But should not be too much of a problem for me.

Another quick question, a rotary encoder uses a coding scheme to match a certain angular position. I was wondering how you can mount the encoder onto the LS itself along with the coding scheme?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Recommendation for a torque cell
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 12:44:44 PM »
I was wondering how you can mount the encoder onto the LS itself along with the coding scheme?
Here is where I say 'do your homework' for a bit and then ask :P

Look up all the types of encoders and see what the sites are selling. You'll see huge varieties. Some have a shaft that can be mounted, some have gears, and you can even make your own. Browse around and read up on them.

For example, the very first search result for lazy susan encoder
gave me this: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-486-0-0-1-0.html