Author Topic: Motor Hub or Coupler  (Read 2593 times)

Offline krichTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Motor Hub or Coupler
« on: June 28, 2008, 11:28:30 PM »
I'm looking for a hub or coupler for my RS-360 motors.  They have a D shaped shaft that's about 2.4mm in diameter.  Would a hub designed with a 3mm bore be suitable?  I'm concerned about wheel wobble because "technically", the wheel would be about 0.3mm off center.  That's not much, so it may not matter.  I'm looking for someone with practical experience to weigh in on that.

On a related topic, I'd like to gear these down a bit, but I'm having a hard time matching their output shaft to a gearbox.  Any tips on a good source for gearboxes and how to interface the motor to them?  This is a pretty small, but hefty motor.  Should I be concerned about the longevity of plastic gears with this motor?

Specs are:
3-8V, 6V nominal
13700 RPM
47.2 g.cm @ 6V, 260 g.cm stall torque
7.7A stall current

Thanks!   ;D

Offline ALZ

• Helpful? 1
Re: Motor Hub or Coupler
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 02:44:53 AM »
Hi:

If you can't find any other way to match output shaft to a gearbox. Cut a slot down the middle of both shafts (motor & gearbox) then put one piece of metal thru the slots.

http://robotics.scienceontheweb.net

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 03:56:22 PM »
They have a D shaped shaft that's about 2.4mm in diameter.  Would a hub designed with a 3mm bore be suitable?
No this definitely won't work (I've tried :P). Hubs are easy to custom make though with a drill and band saw . . .

As for gear boxes, you'd be better off just buying a motor with a built in gear box. Standalone gearboxes that would fit your motor will probably be impossibly hard to find.

Offline bens

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 01:45:33 AM »
It sounds like these two wheels would work, but I couldn't be certain without knowing the exact shape of your output shaft:

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1090
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/642

- Ben

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 11:37:44 AM »
I would just buy one of these whichever one meets your power and speed requirements. I did a bunch of searching for about three months for a good gearhead for walbot, and these were the absolute best for the price hands down. If thats not what you want or if you don't know how to use an H-Bridge I would use servos instead. And about the motors you have, I think you mean gear them down a LOT instead of a bit, at 13K RPM your robot would be toast.
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison