Author Topic: Super Fast Recoverz Rectifiers  (Read 1594 times)

Offline unicoderTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Super Fast Recoverz Rectifiers
« on: May 13, 2009, 05:55:02 PM »
Im going through and finishing my salvage projects so I can clean up some space. I pulled one of these out just now and Read a few googles. Nothing too informative (Its a new Concept for me.)
I have an ER1002FCT: Datasheet

Any links or terms that I can google would be much appreciated.
Industrial Electrician / Maintenance / Motor Controls / PLC's : 3572 hours logged.
C++, C#, MASM32 profficient. Experienced (5 years) DirectX / HLSL / General Graphics and IK programmer.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Super Fast Recoverz Rectifiers
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:26:55 PM »
Hi,

You've got the datasheet, so what exactly is your question?
Sounds like you stripped a PC switch mode supply - you did salvage the MOSFETs, the coils and the transformers as well, right?.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline unicoderTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 06:41:17 PM »
Absolutely! I just didnt know they went to gether haha. They actually can from a flat screen LCD monitor. Same place I got that 8051ish microcontroller.

My main question is(i dont know) "Super Fast Recovery Rectifier" I cant turn up much googling yet that lets me know what that means. I understand what a rectifier is. I just dont understand why they added "Super Fast Recovery"

*EDIT* ooo the coils yeah...I saw some google referring to those. Im gonna go back and read that one more. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:43:17 PM by unicoder »
Industrial Electrician / Maintenance / Motor Controls / PLC's : 3572 hours logged.
C++, C#, MASM32 profficient. Experienced (5 years) DirectX / HLSL / General Graphics and IK programmer.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 03:14:51 PM »
Hi,

My main question is(i dont know) "Super Fast Recovery Rectifier" I cant turn up much googling yet that lets me know what that means. I understand what a rectifier is. I just dont understand why they added "Super Fast Recovery"
Ahh, now I get it.
Reverse Recovery Time is the time it takes for the diode to recover after a shift from forward biasing to reverse biasing.

Super Fast Recovery and Schottkys are considered fast diodes. 1N4148 and 1N914 signal diodes are moderately fast, but something like 1N400x is really slow (µs instead of ns) and will be very inefficient in a switch mode supply of even a low switching frequency, whereas the 1N4148/1N914 will actually do quite well in low current switchers (but still, their forward bias makes them secondary to Schottkys etc.).

The following pdf explains it nicely on page two (with a typical graph) and is worth reading in full:
http://coen.boisestate.edu/ssmith/ece322/lab/lab3.pdf

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives