Author Topic: ATmega328(P)?  (Read 3165 times)

Offline MtnbikerETTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
ATmega328(P)?
« on: October 02, 2010, 10:52:24 PM »
I am currently building the $50 robot (mine has added up to $62 so far minus the stuff I already owned).
I'm not sure which microcontroller to buy. I saw the listing "556-ATMEGA328P-PU" on mouser. Whats the difference between the ATMEGA328P and the ATMEGA328? ???

Also: How would I be able to integrate bluetooth into this bot? I already have bluetooth in my laptop, but how do I put a bluetooth transmitter on my robot? Is there any software I need on my pc? ???

Thanks,
Evan
 :)

Offline DUKELancelot

• Helpful? 0
Re: ATmega328(P)?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 12:35:16 AM »
One has Pico Power one dose not.

Buy the cheaper one.

Please Google it before asking on the forum.

Lancelot.
Before you insult someone walk a mile in their shoes. Then your a mile away from them, and have their shoes.

Offline DUKELancelot

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 04:48:06 AM »
For BlueTooth, Robotshop.com has a module for about 20-25$ (I don't remember the exact price)
Though I would not recommend using it, unless you are a very good programer.
Cause it is very hard to interface with it.

Anyway why Do you even want it?
Before you insult someone walk a mile in their shoes. Then your a mile away from them, and have their shoes.

Offline MtnbikerETTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 06:36:36 AM »
How would I be able to control the robot with it? I'm a pretty good programmer, I've been doing c++ since jr. high, and I've been doing robotc for 3 years.

DUKELancelot: sorry, I'll search the forums next time before I post.

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 01:56:18 PM »
I've got one, it's actually a Seeedstudio Serial Bluetooth adapter something.  After working out all the handshake/etc code and crossing your fingers, it ought to function as a serial port on your computer, at which point you can interface with it however.  Unfortunately, its documentation is horrible, it's an SMD chip with only 4 pins labeled in the datasheet/instruction manual thing, and I wholly recommend you don't get it.  If you're as good a programmer as you say, then your time is probably worth more than the $40.00 (lets calculate: $9.25/hr * 12 hrs = ???) that it would take to get a good module off of sparkfun.

Also, bluetooth is a pretty horrible solution for what you're probably looking for.  It's designed for high-bandwidth short-range connections... not sending 8byte packets every few seconds.  If you've got money, get an Xbee pair and use that, its far more reliable and easy to use.  Short of that, get the $5.00 Tx and $5.00 Rx chips off SparkFun, and work your way through those - be aware, though, that their bandwidth (listed as 2400bps) is actually effectively about 1200bps, since they drop data often and you need to send checksums/handshakes/etc.

data_list