Author Topic: Not possible to build?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline queedillaTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Not possible to build?
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:05:56 AM »
Hey, I know that you guys probably get a lot of requests asking 'how to build a robot'.  I just want to know if I'm building something too complex or is not possible for someone who is not savvy with robotics. I am building a robot octopus for my Time class.  It is built so that the four front tentacles are movable.  The octopus is going to be made for the eyes and arms to be watching/moving.  The arms try to touch the figure in front of them and when the person puts their hand on the tip of the octopi arms the tips light up.  Now am I thinking something that is too complex or cannot be programmed?  I could upload a sketch of my idea, if you do believe it could work. 

Got my inspiration from this:http://www.flong.com/projects/snout/

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Not possible to build?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 01:46:49 PM »
Hi,

[...] It is built so that the four front tentacles are movable.  The octopus is going to be made for the eyes and arms to be watching/moving. 
So, some of it is built already?

The arms try to touch the figure in front of them and when the person puts their hand on the tip of the octopi arms the tips light up. 
Not really clear how much is made and what's missing??

Now am I thinking something that is too complex or cannot be programmed?  I could upload a sketch of my idea, if you do believe it could work. 
Well, we don't know the first thing about your mechanical, electronics or programming skills, so it's impossible to say.

Anything can be made, programmed and wired, but how should we be able to judge whether you have what it takes to do it?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline photomark

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 02:40:59 PM »
Nothing is imposable , all you need is knowledge and vision .

There are no rules with hobby robotics and while experience plays a big part in building a working robot it is imagination that makes a unique robot .

Dont let any one on this site or any site tell you that YOU cant do it  , if you can vision it then you and ONLY you can build it .

I am only new to this site my self but from what I can see you will get a lot of good advice and help .

I will admit that the robot you envision does sound interesting and I am looking forward to its development .   

Offline Gualalasmooth

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 06:58:14 PM »
This one Is a piece of cake with a little passion Not possible I love that line

Tom