Author Topic: $50 Robot Salvage  (Read 1777 times)

Offline walkercreationsTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
    • walkercreations
$50 Robot Salvage
« on: December 13, 2010, 07:40:58 AM »
Hello everyone,

After a very rough year in my personal life I am finally able to settle back into my own place and start doing what I enjoy and that is tinkering. I had started the $50 Robot last year and had gotten as far as assembling the control unit. Last night I was going over the work I had done and found a number of bad or missing connections. I guess mixing trying to solder a robot brain and a bad relationship is never a good thing. Anyway, my question is, I'm thinking about disassembling the whole thing and starting over. Once I desolder the components, is it advisable to use them again or should I just buy new components?
Peter Walker
Fruitland, MD USA

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
Re: $50 Robot Salvage
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 08:45:39 AM »
The most expensive components on the $50.00 robot board are the servos and programmer - neither of which are soldered on.  If you socketed (like you should have) the microcontroller, just pull that off that board, gently, and buy a new socket.  You won't get much out of desoldering the regulator and the other passives - they're pretty cheap anyways, so you may as well just buy new ones.

Offline walkercreationsTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
    • walkercreations
Re: $50 Robot Salvage
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 04:13:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply. That was my thinking but was just curious as to what others thought and have done. I will definitely go that route then.
Peter Walker
Fruitland, MD USA

Get Your Ad Here