Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Brand new noob, robotic tentacles

<< < (2/2)

dunk:
so i don't watch tv so haven't seen the movie but sounds like pneumatics might be a better way of operating this thing than motors.
i'm thinking inflatable tubes inside the tentacle that give it rigidity in certain directions when inflated.

will your hands be free to operate the thing? if so you could miss the complication of having electronics at all and just operate valves and taps.

or maybe i'm not understanding your concept correctly.

dunk.

jonwhunt:
Yeah you're understanding everything right, unfortunately one hand will be controlling a huge claw (think old lady reach and grab arm thingy that everyone plays with when they're little... pincher on a pole) and the other hand will only have three fingers free because the others will be inside another tentacle.  I think robotics will be the only way to go... and I think I'll have to have the signals programmed into portable control unit that I can wear on my belt under my pirate coat.  If you type Davy Jones in youtube I'm sure a video would pop up.  Well time for me to get back to searching the net for tutorials and such.  Thanks in advance to anyone that comes up with a solution.

Hal9000:
I still think you should just make it light as possible and use one or two servos.

Admin:
how about something like this?
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=1225.0

or this?
http://www.ece.clemson.edu/crb/labs/biomimetic/elephant.htm
(see video)

jonwhunt:
Oh man!  :o  That elephant trunk was awesome!  I need something like that, but it doesn't need to be as big, or as sophisticated, or at expensive lol.  I want something just like that but that moves around randomly and is smaller.  I'm hoping that since I want it to be random that I won't have to strap a laptop to me just to keep it moving lol.  So if anyone wants to tackle this project jsut keep in mind it needs to be TINY, silent, and no where nearly as elaborate as that elephant trunk  ;D  If no one wants to mess with it that's cool, I've got a local robotics group checking on it for me. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version