Author Topic: Static  (Read 1333 times)

Offline alexanderTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Static
« on: November 07, 2010, 11:04:41 AM »
Hi.

Sorry if it's a dumb question.

I need the effect of attracting paper with an acrylic electrified by friction.

Is there any other way to pick a paper using electricity without friction?

[]s
Alexander
Brazil

Offline Oller125

• Helpful? 2
    • My Blog
Re: Static
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 01:55:45 PM »
Basically when you rub acrylic you are rubbing off (through friction) electrons or moving them to the acrylic which make the acrylic positively or negatively charged. This attracts the paper. I am sure there are other ways but I don't know any

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 02:55:27 PM »
Hi,

I need the effect of attracting paper with an acrylic electrified by friction.

Is there any other way to pick a paper using electricity without friction?
Sure, look up "negative ion generators" or "static electricity paper holder" (used on some flat bed plotters).
Making a meander pattern, like a raindrop detector and feeding it as high a voltage as possible without flash-over will go a long way, but you need to get it in close contact with the paper to get it to "grab".
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline alexanderTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 05:07:56 PM »
Thank you Soeren, I'll look for it.

I need a very simple device, just to grab a single page of a book, in other words, it will touch the paper, no problem with the distance, no problem making a robot arm to touch the paper and move the pick along an angle. It shouldn't be too big, of course.

I just don't know how to do that without put a DC motor spining an acrylic cilinder over a piece of wool.

[]s
Alexander
Brazil

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 06:09:05 PM »
Hi,

I need a very simple device, just to grab a single page of a book, in other words, it will touch the paper, no problem with the distance, no problem making a robot arm to touch the paper and move the pick along an angle. It shouldn't be too big, of course.
Did you consider vacuum?
A simple system like one of the tiny battery or USB supplied vacuum cleaners for keyboards should have more than enough suction for a page flipping device. Using a bit of tubing, the motor could be mounted away from the actual "gripper head".

Here's one of them
You could probably find something similar but cheaper - or make enough vacuum by using a small fan from a processor heat sink or similar.

If you aren't accustomed to working with high tension, this may be a better way to do it.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

data_list