go away spammer

Author Topic: Hi! New here, but not to Robotics.  (Read 1650 times)

Offline RbotguyTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Hi! New here, but not to Robotics.
« on: February 02, 2012, 02:52:58 PM »
Just wanted to say Hi! I'm Rbotguy (Robotguy was taken, but unused since 2007. I'll relinquish the title if the original objects  ;) ). I have been building hobby robots for about 15 years (http://robotguy.net) and work as an EE at a "robotics" company that makes deep sea Remote Operate Vehicles (ROVs). I have a LOT of hobbies* but robotics is my main ongoing interest. I occasionally keep track of my doings on a blog, if you're interested in taking a look.

*I have acquired so many hobbies by this point in my life that I have decided that my METAhobby is collecting hobbies  ;D

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Hi! New here, but not to Robotics.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 04:32:58 AM »
Hi,

Nice blog :)
First link I tried on the site was dead though, so I didn't explore much there.

If you change your iPod charger box thingy to use a simple switcher (instead of the 7805), you'll get around twice the up-time.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline RbotguyTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:54:30 AM »
If you change your iPod charger box thingy to use a simple switcher (instead of the 7805), you'll get around twice the up-time.

The PT78ST105 is a 1.5A switcher module made to be a drop in replacement for the linear 7805. It has almost 90% efficiency over most of it's load range. Handy little modules, we use them all the time at work.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 02:35:18 PM »
Hi,

The PT78ST105 is a 1.5A switcher module made to be a drop in replacement for the linear 7805. It has almost 90% efficiency over most of it's load range. Handy little modules, we use them all the time at work.
Oops, sorry, my bad - that's what happen, reading something too fast  :-[
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here