Author Topic: Wounded in battle  (Read 65846 times)

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: Wounded in battle
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2008, 09:33:41 PM »
I wanted to see if I could increase the frequency at which I can click the mouse for when I finally get time to play BattleField 2. But alas, all it did was make me bleed >_<

But yeah what happened was I went to take the 555 timer out a dip socket and I only used my fingers without prying it up a little first. So when I applied more force to get it out, the thing flipped in my hand and went into my finger... it sucked.... that happened with another 14 pin IC but only like 3 or 4 pins went in lol. I finally learned after the 5th or 6th time that I should change the way I retrieve ICs from socket :P
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2008, 09:39:43 PM »
I wanted to see if I could increase the frequency at which I can click the mouse for when I finally get time to play BattleField 2. But alas, all it did was make me bleed >_<

But yeah what happened was I went to take the 555 timer out a dip socket and I only used my fingers without prying it up a little first. So when I applied more force to get it out, the thing flipped in my hand and went into my finger... it sucked.... that happened with another 14 pin IC but only like 3 or 4 pins went in lol. I finally learned after the 5th or 6th time that I should change the way I retrieve ICs from socket :P

did you end up making it click faster, I've seen that done before
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2008, 05:51:07 PM »
Yeah but then the oscillations were just too fast my mouse shattered after about 5 minutes. It couldnt seem to withstand a 4mHz click rate for too long apparently. Ah well. :P
Infantry

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2008, 02:37:30 AM »
4 mhz for a mouse?  :-\ wth
Howdy

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2008, 11:26:36 AM »
4Mhz = 4,000,000 cycles per second, you try getting poked at that speed for 5 minutes :P
Infantry

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2008, 12:40:49 PM »
4Mhz = 4,000,000 cycles per second, you try getting poked at that speed for 5 minutes :P

why would you try 4000 clicks a second?

www.Narobo.com

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2008, 12:42:41 PM »
4,000,000 not 4,000 lol

But it was a joke...
Infantry

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2008, 07:15:19 PM »
yea i realised....after 20 mins of scratching my normally shaped head  ;) ;)
Howdy

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2008, 07:48:46 PM »
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2008, 07:50:37 PM »
lol that went really slow on my computer ;D looked so funny.
Howdy

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2008, 02:15:14 PM »
I just tin plated my finger with my desoldering iron accidentally... I should really pay some extra attention to that sort of thing :P
Infantry

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2008, 02:20:25 PM »
haha lol yesterday when i was soldering my $40 i dripped a 1cmX1cm circle on my foot. (too busy talking to dad... he was telling me to be careful with the iron) lol
Howdy

Offline RebelgiumTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2008, 02:25:57 PM »
Is it me or do you just keep injuring yourself Dragon?  ;D
Meh, look at it from the bright side, that proves that you're a very active electronicist...or...
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline gamefreak

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2008, 03:17:04 PM »
I've had IC stabbed into my fingers, prying them loose, prying, prying, prying, flip, congrats you are now a cyborg.

This didnt happen to me, but yesterday we finally got our FIRST robot driving, I drove it around and almost hit some lockers and a table, person number 2 crashed into the lockers, person number 3 almost hit himself, hit the table, flipped around hit 3 lockers, and then rammed into a mentor. It was a fun day.

Also I almost short shrapnel into a mentors eye, I was breaking a chain and suddenly part of the chain breaker broke.

Also relating to FIRST I was unaware that my team members(woot im the leader) used screws to place things on the electronics board,  I threw it up and caught it and a screw impaled my wrist right next to my artery.

Same day I was concentrating on moving two 26 gauge wire and putting them next to some 12 gauge, reaching for the screwdriver that stabbed me a week ago unaware that a team mate just put a freshly cut peice of steel next to me, I hit the metal and made a good cur along the bottom of my hand.

And before anyone says that the ost injury prone person shouldn't be leader, let me say this: If the most injury prone person is not leader, the you have to do all the explaining on how that injury came to be, also if you ever dream of being leader then when the injury prone person(me) slits his wrist you gain power, its a win win!!! :D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 03:19:17 PM by gamefreak »
All hail Rodney, the holy 555 timer
And Steve said: "Let there be lead!"

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2008, 06:07:37 PM »
It sound like you lead a painful life.
Robots are awesome!

Offline gamefreak

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2008, 06:31:11 PM »
Give me an allen wrench i'll impale my hand, give me a propane torch or a welder and nothing will happen.

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2008, 06:33:33 PM »
lol, unfortunately for other people I don't hurt myself that often.
Robots are awesome!

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2008, 07:54:17 PM »
Yo dragon, I just got the best idea ever!
make a robot with a PIR sensor, and program it to follow you everywhere.
Place a webcam on top of it and use an RF/Bleutooth tranceiver to send the live videostream to your PC and record it.

Then everytime you get hurt, You'll have it recorded on you PC! And you'll be able to share it with us!
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline gamefreak

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2008, 09:29:46 PM »
lol, just make a robot parrot that sits on your shoulder, you get less strange looks then a giant metal contraption following you everywhere....... altough.......[quickly begins construction of 200 pound robot to follow me around in school all day] I wonder what the cops would say.......

although they are the same cops that let me bring a propane torch to school, and the ones that deal with my random questions about various weapons laws in schools such as tasers, and the ones that overhear me and my friend talking about getting a vest, attaching a bunch of batteries covered in duct tape to it, putting a bunch of LEDs on it, yelling oh god a bomb, and throwing it into a room turned on.......

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2008, 09:29:59 PM »
hahahahaha that is a great idea Rebel :) I almost fell REALLY hard today in a parking lot. I was being dumb and goofy while hanging out with my girlfriend and 2 of our friends. It woulda HURT but luckily im an expert and saving myself from falling.... just not tinning my fingers :P

I have gotten hurt countless times. Not all being electronics though. I think it all started when I was 2 years old and stepped on a bee ground hive... Nothing feels better than ~200 bee stings and a day in the emergency room.... Ive been to the emergency room too many times... its kinda boring now :P

@Game Freak:
hahaha nice one there. Although I would rather have a robot following me around than something sitting on my shoulder. Ill just make like 4 helicopter robots to follow me around so they can get all kinds of dramatic and intense angles of any action :P

And the whole batteries idea. Wellll lets just say I think it would be best if you refrained from doing that :P
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 09:32:03 PM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
Infantry

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2008, 09:32:20 PM »
well I never get hurt enough to go to the hospital

just some minor cuts occasionally

I wonder why?  ;)

www.Narobo.com

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2008, 09:40:28 PM »
well I never get hurt enough to go to the hospital

just some minor cuts occasionally

I wonder why?  ;)
Cuz your a wimp :P

Just kidding :D Its because your lucky :)
Infantry

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2008, 09:47:50 PM »
lol

lucky has nothing to do with it , safety is key

I just hope that dragon and gamefreak do not have to operate any table saws or jigsaws in the near future  :D

seriously , wear goggles and think before you do something

www.Narobo.com

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2008, 11:12:08 PM »
umm... i dont think the safety gogles would want to put themself inbetween them and the tools lol
Howdy

Offline gamefreak

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2008, 06:41:53 AM »
lol, didint yoou read what I said? Its the small everyday tools that noone ever hurts themselves on, and I find a creative way to stap/impale/slit/slice/cut/gore myself with. But with a band saw I never get hurt.....

So far non of mr robotics injuries have led to the hospitol, and if they did my parent would probably try to put a stop on my hobby/dream/career :P

It is a FIRST rule to wear safety google, although I only hvae mine on half the time since Im normally doing electronics work.

I wonder what would happen if someone went downtown with a robot(s) following them, lol, I really want to see the cops reaction, especially if the robots had sensors to detect them and they flew in front of you for portection :P

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2008, 09:00:37 AM »
LOL I love this topic. ;D

Nice sig gamefreak. ;)
Check out my sig if you want to relax even more than you do from reading this topic...
orgcrime.net

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2008, 10:07:33 AM »
you probably hurt yourself with the little tools because you are not as cautious around them. luckily i have never done anything with a band saw. mostly mostly I just burn, shock, jab, and decapitate myself.........maybe i haven't decapitated myself......not yet anyways.
Robots are awesome!

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2008, 10:56:38 AM »
lol, i never hurt myself too much when working on electronics. Its usually only a burn or a scratch. I havnt impaled myself with anything recently. Like I said, my most recent injury was tin plating one of my fingers when I went to discharge my desoldering iron after desoldering a joint :P It hurt less than actually touching the soldering iron itself but was still pretty painful. It didnt leave an actual burn mark or anything so thats good. Im really not as accident prone as my posts seem to make me out to be :P

I work with bandsaws, lathes, drills, large disc sanders, table saws, various different welding equipment and such quite often and havnt hurt myself with any of those. :) I do wear safety goggles unless im working with electronics. I remember when I went to a FIRST robotics competition at Drexel University about 3 or 4 years ago with my robotics team(which I hated for the most part... they were a bunch of jerks... plus I was a freshman in high school... which means I had no importance in life :P because thats how the hierarchy goes :) but anyway...) When I went with my team we had a lot of fun and such and our robot did really well and was very powerful because of the gear boxes our team leader had made for our robots four CIM motors. We had the strongest robot out there. Our team number was 204. I dont go to that high school anymore so I have no idea how the robotics team is going but I have a feeling it sucks because we lost our most important people during my sophomore year there (I quit about 3 weeks into the year because we had so many dumb asses and time wasters that it just wasnt worth it. Plus we had already lost 2 of our most important people on the team) So that was heavily disappointing. Now I work alone so I dont have to worry about that crap. Come to think of it, the amount of injuries I incur when working on my robots has dropped by out 95% since I started working alone :)

Fixed the schematic :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:06:52 PM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
Infantry

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »
Thanks for the motivational talk dragon... I just started in a group of 4 for a project for school. But (for now )everything is great  :D
orgcrime.net

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2008, 12:18:48 PM »
Of course rebel :) What kind of community member would I be if I didnt take a fellow roboticists place in the hierarchy seriously :P Nah im just kidding. I dont really see freshmen as insignificant... unless they really are insignificant... ALL the freshmen I encounter lately seem to be waste of life, locusts. When I was a freshman I was already building computers and fixing them :P...... anyway

I has a Coke! It are make brain go ZOOOOM!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:34:01 PM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
Infantry

Get Your Ad Here

data_list