General Misc > Misc

Whisk wins the Mobot Mini Challenge!

<< < (4/4)

Somchaya:

--- Quote from: Admin on April 16, 2007, 10:39:43 AM ---Somchaya, dont use felt for the sunshield. I tried it for a robot once and like three layers of the stuff still let in 30% of the sunlight . . . I find electrical tape to work VERY well, although its not as flexible . . .

--- End quote ---

Yeah.. so for the sun shield, what I did eventually was to use black foam as the main shield, and felt only at the bottom, but that didn't work very well, cos the wind would blow the felt into the camera's view, or the felt would just move inwards after a while.. I guess I should have tried black electrical tape..

Ultimately, I just gave up on sun shields ;D Hopefully, it won't be too sunny on Friday and that'll be fine.. hehe.. In theory, a little bit of shadows shouldn't kill the algorithm, but when it's really sunny, the contrast between shadowed and non-shadowed areas becomes too great, and the robot thinks the line is elsewhere, and I don't really blame it ;) When I looked at the camera image it did look as if a line existed there.. haha

--- Quote from: Admin on April 16, 2007, 10:39:43 AM ---actually, in my tests, i found that rain (wet pavement) actually makes sensing the line much better . . . assuming your robot doesnt fry . . .

--- End quote ---

That's very true.. I ran a test yesterday after the rain, and noticed that the contrast between line and pavement was a lot clearer.. If it's a heavy downpour though.. I probly wouldn't dare to run my robot :P It's not built for much(read: any) water.. hehe

nanob0t:
Congrats!   ;D

It looks like a neat competition.  I would love to enter something like that, but I fail to have the funds, or transportation.

Maybe some day I'll see you or Admin there   :D

Have to get a job :P  :P  :P  :-[  :-[  :-[  :'(   :'(  :'(

Admin:
Team Whisk won 3rd at the actual Race, too (the mini challenge was a pre-race). His team got a nice check $$$ to go with it ;)
Nice job! Im impressed!

My robot, which I started building two days prior to the competition and used a single photoresistor, didnt fare anywhere near as well . . . :P
Ill post the design and code up when I can. I used The $50 Robot controller so everyone can directly use what I did for their own bots.

the awards:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mobot/winners.shtml

(I name my robot Pikachu every year - its a famous robot at Mobot :P)

Somchaya:
We actually got 2nd ;D

I'll be coming up with a nice summary of the whole project, plus released code, sometime in the next few weeks, once all my work for this semester settles down..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version