go away spammer

Author Topic: I need help from a professional  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Matt4328Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
I need help from a professional
« on: February 03, 2014, 09:34:29 AM »
I need the advice of a professional. I have a design at the moment (it's somewhere between Johnny 5 and darwin). My biggest problem is going to be battery power. Do you think it would be possible to wire a "wind up torch" powered by a dc motor to recharge batteries.
With use of a voltage tester I hope to be able to control the dc motor to cut off.
Thank you

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: I need help from a professional
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 11:07:06 AM »
With the correct voltages, yes, you can charge batteries using any power source, be it a wind-up-torch or solar cell.
In general, you'll need an efficient switching DC/DC converter to generate the appropriate input voltage from whatever your power source is.
Also, if the batteries are Lithium-based, you need a battery management circuit to avoid over-charging (and over-discharging) as well as balancing if you have multiple cells.

Offline CJAlbertson

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 10:59:43 PM »
I need the advice of a professional. I have a design at the moment (it's somewhere between Johnny 5 and darwin). My biggest problem is going to be battery power. Do you think it would be possible to wire a "wind up torch" powered by a dc motor to recharge batteries.
With use of a voltage tester I hope to be able to control the dc motor to cut off.
Thank you

The problem is that you just can't generate much power with a small hand crank.  And then you have the problem of converting the voltage it does make to hat the battery needs.   
Chris A. in So. Cal.

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 11:00:07 AM »
The problem is that you just can't generate much power with a small hand crank.

That can be compensated by using a longer charging (and cranking) time.

Offline Roman505

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 03:10:48 PM »
... and a longer crank handle :)

(and correspondingly heavier generator load)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list