go away spammer

Author Topic: components for electroadhesion  (Read 2019 times)

Offline vipulan12Topic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
components for electroadhesion
« on: March 03, 2014, 04:00:03 PM »
Hi everyone, is their a component or material (that i could buy)that uses electro-adhesion to stick two surfaces together
so that i could build a robot that could walk on walls (look at attachment)

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: components for electroadhesion
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 06:48:56 PM »
Electro-adhesion does not work on raw brick.
And, in general, the answer to your question is likely "no."
I suggest putting steel plate in/behind the wall, and using strong electromagnets in the feet :-)

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 09:18:44 AM »
i see, thanks for the reply but how else could this be done? not everything will be magnetic

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 11:13:17 AM »
If this were a solved problem, then you would be able to buy "drill-less shelf mounts" at the local hardware store.
The only way that it's currently possible to get strong adhesion to a wide variety of vertical surfaces, is by using glue.

Offline bdeuell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 11:31:20 AM »
I thought this was a good solution for building a wall climbing robot http://www.icm.cc/specs.php

It uses thick foam rollers/treads to seal to the surface and a vacuum is used to hold the robot to the surface.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 05:28:29 PM »
that is a good idea but wouldn't you need a really good vaccum also wouldn't it only work when the wall is completely flat so that no air escapes through any cracks or small openings

Offline bdeuell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 08:33:51 PM »
Looking at their specs they claim it generates 225 pounds of pull off force, estimating the vacuum chamber to be roughly 12" x 12", that means there is 144 in^2 of area, this would require about 1.56 psi vacuum, doesn't seem too far fetched to me. I believe they are powering this device externally so they have plenty of power available.

I read somewhere that this device is capable of driving over protrusions such as riveted seams, not sure what the exact spec on this is but the thick and wide foam treads/rollers allow the robot to create a seal even with non-smooth surfaces.

I few years back I saw a story on a guy that climbed the outside of a building using a couple of vacuum cleaners and some suction plates he made.

Get Your Ad Here